Locking hub rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locking hub rebuild

80CB3A61-9D40-417F-9CE5-FEF61B90D378.jpeg I’m rebuilding some vintage Dualmatic locking hubs and could use some advice from those knowledgeable. I took them apart and they had quite a bit of grease inside. However I found some old instructions that specifically says not to grease them and that they will receive lubrication via the axle but I don’t see how that is possible and feel some grease should be added. 3B49AD9F-AFDC-469E-B484-9081958CB128.jpeg 71F26D68-AF9D-477A-8BB3-E5E7776B3D8E.jpeg F613D0D5-370C-4006-875A-0058EBE500C5.jpeg

Josh, they wouldn't receive oil from the axle. The system is sealed via the inner axle seal.
    Look at something like a marine grade lucas wheel bearing grease.
    I believe you are in a warmer climate and wont worry terribly about sub freezing issues would you?
    1967 W200.aka.Hank
    1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
    2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

Thanks Matt. Not worried about freezing. More concerned with friction and getting hot. Also, I just discovered that the bottom portion or the lockout hubs are slightly larger than the tops and the wheel hub which makes it look like one would have to remove the lockout in order to change the wheel. So no sealant on the gaskets?

Comment

• Matthew Welcher PWA
        Matthew Welcher PWA commented
        Editing a comment
        Josh the old Warn hubs are that way, but it SHOULD clear.
        Meaning the size.
        Use a gasket for sure and one side I put the permetex number 2 on.

I had that same problem with one set of my Dualmatic hubs so I had a small amount machined off so that if I had to remove my wheel I would not have to remove the hub to get the rim off

Comment

Working...
      X