Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiper Motors - Vacuum Style !!!

***disclaimer - for actual wiper question skip to last paragraph***

As most of you probably don't know, I am working on my restoration of a 46WDX. This journey started about a year ago when I pulled the truck into my barn with my 2017 Powerwagon from being stored outside the house with about 6in of snow on the ground. A few weeks later of new plug wires, plugs, new gas and battery she fired up and was idling like a swiss watch.. Wait.. Lets rewind.. The story actually starts about 7 years ago lurking on this forum and getting the itch for a FFPW.. Well I found one in CO made a phone call and left MO on a Friday night to be there Saturday morning to take a look at the truck with trailer in tow. Unfortunately, it was not what I was looking for so back home I went empty trailer in tow. Looking through the internet I found another listing about 60 miles from where I was in CO only 3 days ago.. Well, back out there I went the next weekend and this time was hauling back the the 46 which drove up onto the trailer under its own power. Well life happened and I created a life in the midst which put the project on hold for 6 years being neglected and not even run until last February. Then Covid hit... Man oh man did I have the free time now with working from home. This brings us up to speed. I sent a request to the chrysler archives and they sent back my punch ticket.. Wouldn't ya know, it had the rear pulley, overflow tank, draw bar, winch and tow hooks. Could use some help deciphering the rest if one was able to assist.

I started disassembly and putting everything in plastic bags and labeling with a marker. I had the truck down to a rolling chassis in 2 days. Then started taking down the winch, media blasting and inspection.. Still disassembled but ready for paint. Got the axles out. Inspected the front, all seemed well enough, new seals, back together it went. Same thing with the transfer case, transmission, and PTO. All looked good, seals replaced and painted, and now sitting on the shelf. Took the frame to have media blasted and got that back. Installed the front bushings, CHECK. Now time for etching primer and paint soon after. Rear axle still has to be inspected, but don't expect anything surprising there either. New leaf springs purchased and old ones shoved in the corner.

The engine is not original, as it is a 251 with a build date of around 49 according to the T-137 website T150-3046). The "legend" has it, the truck was for a dodge executive that purchased it for his farm in Montana and the engine blew and was replaced with the bigger 251. Now, there is no way to prove any of that, but the guy i purchased it from said that was the story he was told from the previous owner. Well the build punch ticket clearly states "Missoula Mont"... So there may be a sliver of fact there. LOL. At any rate I tore the engine down as the compression test was around 91 per cylinder, so i figured it was tired. Checked the diameter of the pistons and they were all standard bore, so that is a positive. Got the water distribution tube out in 1 piece WINNING!!.. So the engine is disassembled and in boxes awaiting the funds for the machine shop.. Any recommendations in MO for a machine shop for the block work is well appreciated.

Speaking of the engine, someone just took 2 pieces of angle and bolted that to the frame then bolted the engine to the angle.. It works I guess?? The radiator is a modified DeSoto radiator, works too i guess? The engine never overheated when I would drive it a bit around town and what not before parking it. More on this subject some other time as I have really rambled and gotten way of track. To much time spent with a 4 year old during summer covid lockdown. LOL.

So this leads me to where we are now. I stumbled across the 3 Trico wiper motors the guy gave me with the truck and I am trying to identify them them. One the shaft is broke off past the threads where the body nut goes, on the actual rod that is where the wiper seals are in the body. The other two look to be ok, but have funky ends where the wiper motor would attach to them. I am assuming the wiper motor ends, where the wiper arms connect onto should be splined or something. Or maybe the guy just purchased some wiper arms that are incorrect? At any rate, if someone could provide some pictures and model numbers of the KSB wiper motors that that would be wonderful.

Thank you for reading my story, or just skipping to the last, whichever.. LOL..

I don't have the model numbers handy, but here are a couple pics of the wipers in my 53. One before rebuild and one VacuumWiperMotors.gif WipersAfter.gif after.
    Tim Ellis

1953 B4 PW
    2013 Dodge 2500 Diesel

Clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.

Comment

I loved your story, and thank you for sharing it with us.
      please post up some pictures of your wiper motors. Lets see what you have.
      1967 W200.aka.Hank
      1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
      2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

with some light rubbing being careful not to “erase” the pair it looks like I have the following:

KSB 416
        KSB 406
        ?SM 1-2

Comment

Great story. Thanks for sharing. Craig

Comment

Working...
          X