Engine mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine mounts

Hello folks My 50 Power Wagon is coming along slowly but making headway continuously! I just finished going through all the slave cylinders and all looked good just needed cleanup. I am getting ready to start to reassemble the engine and not been able to find COMPLETE information on motor mounts. I have the front mount where the sandwitched rubber/steel bolts to but what goes in between the frame and this main front mount, I am guessing there is some kind of rubber isolator? On the rear mounts I have the rubber square pads that go onto the frame and then the bell housing ears sit in on top of those pads, it looks like there should be something more in this area besides the bolts that go through these pads on the frame to the bell housing, what am I missing here? I looked in the VPW engine mounts and there are also some front upper mounts is this for a 1950 model? And where would these mount to? I would like to have all this figured out and ready so when I sit the engine in place its there for good, any and all suggestions greatly appreciated!!
    Karl

Hi Karl,

The only rubber isolator on the front of the engine is the rubber and steel isolator with the 4 studs, which goes between the mounting plate on the front of the block and the frame mounted support plate.

The bell housing gets the pads between it and the frame, and the bolts each get a heavy-duty spring, washer, castllated nut and cotter pin.

I tried to attach a photo but the file appears to be too big.

cd
    1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
    1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
    2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
    1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
    1954 Ford 860 tractor
    1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
    UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

Dave so there is a spring between the bell housing and the frame pads with a washer large enough to accommodate the spring then a bolt through all that and a castle nut with cotter pin and thats it, correct? And there is no rubber between the front engine support and the frame itself, just rubber and steel isolator that bolts to the front of the engine correct?
      Thanks very much for your assistance on this also! Greatly appreciated!
      Karl

Comment

The bell housing sits on the frame with the the rubber isolator between. The bolt comes up from the bottom so the threads are seen in the bell housing casting. The spring goes over the bolt, followed by the washer and nut.

This allows the frame to articulate as the truck moves over uneven terrain, preventing stress fractures in the frame.

If you like, send me a private message with your email and I can send you a pic. Our parts manual has excellent exploded views of this as well.

cd
        1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
        1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
        1954 Ford 860 tractor

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.
          1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
          1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
          1954 Ford 860 tractor

Comment

Dave thanks much for the pic its perfect! What is this manual you are talking about and where can I buy one?
            Karl

Comment

All,

This thread is very helpful as I am in the process on putting my engine back into my '55 PW. I am having trouble getting the front engine mount to slide into the bracket on the engine. The front motor mount bracket is bottoming out on the timing chain cover. Do I have to remove the crankshaft pulley to get the engine mount bracket to slide into place?

Thanks
              Mike

Comment

Hello Mike
                Its been sometime since I did this and I remember looking at this assembly thinking that its a crazy way to have to go about this but if my memory serves me correctly you do have to remove the pulley and then get everything in place and then reinstall the pulley. I remember when I was setting the engine in place it all appeared SO SIMPLE but then once I got into it there were complications such as your dealing with right now!
                I hope this helps Mike!

Comment

Thanks Karl,

I was able to get the bolt out for the pulley but I am unable to get the pulley off. How does the pulley slide off? Do I need to use a gear puller?

Thanks
                  Mike

Comment

Mike I apologize for my late reply and you have probably figured it out by now. Again my truck has been in the body shop so they can mount the cab and the bed so I havent seen it for awhile. but with that said I thought there were two bolt holes in the pulle near the base where I put two bolts into and when I tightened up the bolts it pressed the pulley off? I have a great memory its just a bit short at time Mike!

Comment

Working...
                    X