12 volt conversion? fuel pump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 volt conversion? fuel pump?

Hello Folks I am working hard getting my block cleaned up getting ready for assembly but ran into a couple issues I dont have the answers for and hope you experts do? First I took my fuel pump apart thinking I would just clean it up and order a new diaphragm for it but the diaphragm does not come out, am I missing something, or is this pump NOT rebuildable? Then I have started going through the distributor assembly cleaning points condenser etc. and I looked at the coil and its obviously a 6 volt coil I am going to convert my truck to 12 volt do I need a 12 volt coil to do this correctly? Is there anything else I need to change to the ignition to do this conversion will my existing condenser that I have now work with 12 volts? (its a 6 volt condenser)! As always thanks much for the assist guys!!
    Karl

Pertaining your latter questions, yes you need a 12V coil The 6V coil may run but likely not for long. The condenser is fine no matter 6V or 12V. Things like generator/alternator/charging system need to be 12V. Obviously the battery & I think starter. Don't forgot some of the lighting (bulbs).

Go to some tractor websites (yesterday's tractor) & do some reading. 6V to 12V is a VERY common conversion done on older gasoline tractors.

Bucky

Comment

Thanks much Bucky I rebuilt the distributor assembly and bought new points etc. and got a 12 volt coil I have resistors for all the gauges and 12 volt bulbs for all the lights. I think I have thought it through enough? Most of my trucks are all 24 volt and I never worry about changing voltage, so this is a little bit new!
      Thanks again Bucky!

Comment

Karl your moving right along...wish I was craig

Comment

Hello Craig I am sure your making progress you seem like a pretty industrious sort!! I am making progress but holy cow it seems like I have been and inch away from installing the engine, clutch, trans etc. in the truck for at least a month now but have run into something that causes me to need more/different parts etc. UUUGGHHH!!! After I get the engine and all this in I will post pics of my true progress Craig, but to sum it up it seems to be taking FOREVER!!!!

Comment

Yes time and money. Hopefully next week I’ll be able to set the motor transmission and transfer case. Fingers crossed.

Comment

Working...
            X