Rod bolt cap washers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rod bolt cap washers

Hey guys was ready to put pistons in the block today and set the cap in place and saw the recessed hole where the nut goes, obviously I need a washer here to go under the nut. I looked in the parts book and they give a part # for this nut but its not in the VPW catalog. I would prefer it NOT be a lock nut I would rather use blue locktite, I just dont trust lock washers in critical points like this do you guys know where I can get the washers that fit into this location, by looking the washers are pretty thick for the nut to ride on. Any thoughts as always appreciated!
    Karl

Is there a reason a flanged prevailing torque nut won't work? You mentioned you don't want to used a locknut...were you refering to nylock nuts?

cd
    1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
    1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
    2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
    1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
    1954 Ford 860 tractor
    1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
    UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

If memory serves me correctly, there were two different types or styles of rod cap on the 230. One which used a washer, and one that did not.
      I also believe that at VPW they have "some" reproduction connecting rod bolt lock washers on the shelf. Shoot me an email as I could possibly forget.
      1967 W200.aka.Hank
      1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
      2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

Dave if there was not the cutout in the rod cap for the washer it would work but the way it is now because of that 1/16 inch deep depression around the rod bolt there would be very little bearing surface for the flanged rod nut to ride on!

Comment

Gotcha...hopefully Matt can hook you up with what you need.

cd
          1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
          1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
          2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
          1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
          1954 Ford 860 tractor
          1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
          UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

Dave I found a place that had the washers (ARP) I am going to have to do very light fitting but they had some that were the right thickness and extremely close to the diameter I needed. If I had not found any today I was going to take the caps in and have them machined flat. I did break a ring on Sunday and of course it was the 4th ring on the last piston so I had to get that ordered today and FYI and I bet you already know this but I found a place with the correct headbolts a buddy of mine took all the measurements from the stock ones and found some new ones that should work perfectly! I looked as I was cleaning up my old ones and there was no way they were going back into a new engine, I would have been scared to torque them down, and if they didnt break then they sure looked like they would have down the road Dave!

Comment

Working...
            X