Possible brake probles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible brake probles

Hey guys I had something happen this week I just wanted you to be aware of concerning brake drums and powder coating them. I moved my Power Wagon out of the shop for the first time thins week using the tractor to move it around and found my brakes were dragging and making odd noises. I got it back into the shop and pulled a rear wheel and things seemed ok and I went to the other side and did the same thing and it turned as it should so back to the first one and it was locked tight no movement at all. I pulled the axle and it made no difference so I pulled the drum and had to pry it off with a small bar when I got it off I noticed slivers of powder coating under the hub, then things started to make sense! My drum bolts were all loose and I know I tightened them up, so what was happening is the powder coating on the drum and inside the hole where it fits onto the hub was to thick and would not allow the drum to seat completely on the hub and when I moved the truck it would not hold center and was binding the brake shoes when it moved, hence the noises and severe dragging. I pulled all the drums and cleaned every spec of powder coating off the drums in the area where it slips on the lip on the hub and all lines up and the drums seat perfectly on the hubs!
    I posted this in case it happens to anybody else they can take preemptive action prior to assembly!
    Good luck All!

It doesn't take but a few mils thickness to throw something out of whack.

Bucky

Comment

Karl, did you powder coat the inside of the drum itsel? Or was this just on the back edge?
      1967 W200.aka.Hank
      1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
      2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

Hello Matthew I did powdercoat inside the drums all except the portion where the shoes contact the drum!

Comment

Working...
        X