Need info on this engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need info on this engine

Hi everyone, I am helping a friend with his 1948 Power wagon engine rebuild and I have a question or two. From all of the info plates on the engine, I am reasonably certain the engine is a 228. The model number on the data plate is C3-PW6(or is that a b?)-i26, serial number is 83946698. There is also a Reman data plate stating it is an R13. Crank dimensions are standard but the piston bore measures out to be 3-3/8" + .030 so it has definitely been remanufactured at one point in its past. The machine shop is recommending punching it out to .060" so I am looking for advice on engine parts suppliers and tips on things worth doing since we have it out anyways. I am thinking for sure to do the pistons, rings, new valve seats and valves/springs/keepers (can these be cleaned up and re-used?), oil pump, crank and camshaft bearings, cam gears and chain, (camshaft looks decent so was going to re-use that unless?), seals and gaskets, water pump, thermostat and carburetor rebuild/replace. My friend is an older, frugal sort of chap and would like to re-use as much as possible but I would like to ensure he gets a good, reliable engine so any and all comments or suggestions are welcome. In fact, if anyone has a good running engine they would be interested in selling in the Alberta, Canada neighborhood we would be interested in looking at that too. Thank you for any replies!

I don't have any advice on the engine rebuild, but you will get a lot of responses if you post on the Dodge Power Wagon forum and on p15-d24.com truck side. p15-d24 has a bunch of followers in western Canada. Check 'em out.

Comment

Working...
    X