OEM v 4.30 axle gear rateo difference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OEM v 4.30 axle gear rateo difference

I enjoy driving my restored 1949 B1 PW but top speed is only around 40 MPH max with the OEM differential gearing. Has or does anyone know how much more speed I would get if I switched the gears to 4.30. Would like to take it down to town but would need to travel on our rural highway for about 10 miles each way.

Has nobody replied to your question?
    cd
    1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
    1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
    2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
    1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
    1954 Ford 860 tractor
    1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
    UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

Originally posted by texcwa View Post
      I enjoy driving my restored 1949 B1 PW but top speed is only around 40 MPH max with the OEM differential gearing. Has or does anyone know how much more speed I would get if I switched the gears to 4.30. Would like to take it down to town but would need to travel on our rural highway for about 10 miles each way.
      The 4.30 is a valid option with alot of Variables, it depends on engine power, off road or on road and how you use it.
      You will have to use first gear alot more and need to down shift which can be difficult. A 4.30 should depending on all the variables on flat ground should be atleast 10mph top end with all things working correctly.
      1967 W200.aka.Hank
      1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
      2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

Matt, good to hear from you. I did not even think about the shifting difference, am finally getting the up shift down but can still not down shift without grinding the heck out of it. Have to come to a complete stop to downshift into 1st (and sometime even 2nd)

Comment

Working...
        X