Got new B2PW , fix or part ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got new B2PW , fix or part ?

Hauled home a 1950 B2PW yesterday for FREE !
    I hadnt seen it , but I couldnt turn down a free Power Wagon.
    I planned on using it for parts for my B1PW but after looking at it Im not sure.
    Its had the frame streched and he said it runs but the motor is shot . Body wise its got very little rust ( only surface), not bad as far as dents .
    Its very complete minus the winch ,bed ( not sure it ever had one), rear shocks and fuel tank.
    Major bonus I thought were the combat rims.
    I could do alot to my B1 and WC12 with the parts and save myself alot of money.
    Im in over my head with projects as it is , but Im kind of a sucker when it comes to a new fixer upper.
    I might have a hard time getting the title for it staightend out.
    What do you guys think ?
    Fix it or part it ?
    William

Live & let live. Looks like a keeper

Comment

I think that with no bed, no title and a modified frame I'd be tempted to leverage it to finish existing projects rather than start another one. Use the parts that you can and eBay the rest to help finance current projects.

Also, why is it that so many FFPWs are found with combat rims? Were military surplus rims with tires mounted available cheap at one time?

Comment

I took a good close look at the frame for the first time and its not the hack job I figured it to be.
        It looks like it was done very well but as usual with old Dodges , she was used well beyond her initial intent and is pretty broke up.
        Its double frame from the very front to just in front of the rear sping hangers.
        Were they all double frame ?
        I dont recall my 49 B1PW having a doubled frame , its parked at my parents house so Ill look next time Im out there.
        I wonder if the streach was a conversion shop done to order when new ?
        Acording to the data plate it was standard wheelbase when it left the factory.

The frame is in very bad shape , its been broke and repaired MANY times leading to the right rear spring hanger welded to the frame.
        The rest of the frame has alot of buckles in it , as far forward as the transfer case.
        The front springs are toast , both packs are badly bent and half the leaves are broke.
        The guy told me they use to put a unit of lumber on the tilt bed all the time and use the winch to dump em off.
        They also picked up some monster logs with the A frame on the front.

The cab and front clip are suprisingly good.
        Under the ulgy brush applied yellow paint is decent looking dark green original paint that might clean up with a little wet sanding.
        The engine comp. looks like it would clean up very nicely , and has chalk mark reading "winch" just above the rad. on the drivers side.
        I wish my 04 Dodge had paint half as tough as the old PW's.

The combat rims might depend on location some what , Ive never seen any around here untill now.
        Maybe there wernt many surplus venders in Oregon back in the day ??
        I know of more than a dozen FFPW's in the area and this is the first Ive seen with combat's

I was thinking they would look good on my WC12.

So far Im leaning towards Tony's plan.
        Thanks guys.
        William

Comment

This side isnt bad compaired to the other.

Comment

doos

i just picked up 2 1950 b 2 power wagons. niether have doors does anyone want to trade some parts for some doors.. thanks brad..bradsart@gmail.com

im in granby ct
            Last edited by purr; 06-05-2009, 01:41 PM. Reason: for got email

Comment

Goin' W/Tony

Originally posted by WARWAGON41 View Post

So far Im leaning towards Tony's plan.
              Thanks guys.
              William
              I'll second that, Tony knows!
              (OT) Tony, how did you seats come out for your 37?

Comment

The sheet metal looks pretty nice. It seems a shame to part it out. A lot of folks have started with trucks way worse than this one. Perhaps finding a good frame is another alternative.
                Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

I agree with Gordon. Good sheet metal is more important than the iron (frame). You can get a different frame, and a title is probably obtainable from Broadway Title, if Oregon DMV is a problem.
                  My sheet metal was in bad shape and it took me close to two years to repair it. Frames, engines, trannys, etc are much more available.

Comment

Too bad that you are in Oregon, I would make you an offer on it to replace my stolen one. I planed on doing a frame stretch (12") anyways because of the bed I was mounting. Great find by the way!

Comment

Working...
                    X