Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dana 44 Lock-in Issue

Howdy from Caroline, fellas.

4WD is out. I found out the hard and embarrassing way in a hole with an audience of about 6 Fords. Real bummer, caught more crap than the john at a bad mexican joint.

So, the front driveshaft is spinning, but that useless piece of vacuum actuated garbage Chrysler calls a switch isn't working (I'm guessing).

Anybody got a step-by-step on how to bypass it (if it's a good idea) or exactly how to route the vacuum lines so I can repair it.

I've gotta move quick. Going back to redeem Mother Mopar tomorrow night. Oh, and if it wasn't a priority before, know that there will be ladies there this time.

I take it that you are talking about the '85 you have. Look for a device called a "posi-lock". It replaces the vacuun actuator with a cable that is operated from the dashboard.

Comment

vacuum failure, all 80's dodges?

would an 89 ramcharger be vulnerable to a similar vacuum failure?

Comment

National 4WD has it for $221.00 + shp.. Part # PSL450 for 85 to 93 Dodge Dana 44...Hurry and redeem yourself! Or you could get several feet of vacuum hose and a hand held vacuum pump, and exercise your fingers while you mudrun:-)

Comment

Originally posted by 74w300uteline View Post
          would an 89 ramcharger be vulnerable to a similar vacuum failure?
          Yes any post 80 Dodge with the CAD (central axle disconnect) axle would be vulnerable to failure. I believe CAD axles were introduced in 85 and were used on most Dodge 4x4's up to 2002 or whenever the solid axle disappeared. The exception would be the cummins (89-93) trucks with the Dana 60 front and those had selectable locking hubs. CAD axles after 93 I think use a different posi-lock cable set-up than the 85-93 yrs. I don't know what's under the 2003 & up solid axle rigs.

Comment

Thanks, y'all. Yeah, it's the '85.

I'll get movin' on that as soon as I hit the "submit reply" button. Only a few hours until the Colonel is mirror deep again, so I can't chat...gotta go.

$221+... ouch.

Comment

$82.76 here at http://www.4x4posi-lok.com/app_dodge.html, but you have to supply some hardware on your own. It looks like stuff you can get cheap from the hardware store.

Comment

In a pinch, you can unbolt the axle cover and slide it manually over the split axle, bolt it into place and run it that way.
                However you'll be in 4WD all the time that way.

Comment

Bolt it into place? Do you mean the cover? Would the fork be prone to sliding back over and disengaging the axle if I jar it just right (and I will... you know, Murphy's law and all that)?

I suppose I could engage it at the axle and run it in 4-high for a while, I'd just hate to burn up that wienie NP208. Well, I wouldn't lose any sleep, but I'd sure be a chore to swap the TC out.

Comment

If I'm gonna spend $200, I might as well just get the solid axle CAD delete and some hubs...

Comment

When I got my '87 ramcharger it had some cobbled up stuff on it and one thing I noticed was there was no vacuum line to the CAD. It was shifted into the engaged position so I bought some lockouts for it. I drove it for 12 years (the last 5 were snow plowing only) and never had a problem with it disengaging. But like you said "Murphy's Law".....
                      1949 B-1 PW
                      1950 B-2 PW
                      1965 WM300
                      1968 D200 camper special (W200 conversion)
                      1970 Challenger RT 383
                      1987 Ramcharger 4x4
                      1991.5 W250 diesel
                      1999 Jeep Cherokee limited 4x4
                      2008 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Comment

Ok, I pulled the assembly and found the culprit. The vacuum motor was rusted through in a few places that I couldn't see while it was under the truck and was FULL of dirt and what looked like carbon. No amount of compressed air was gonna budge that diaphram. so...

$200 posi-lok? No, no, no, fellas. I just made a "posi-lok" kit for $15. So, now on sale are Bo's special cable actuated 4WD kits! $100! What a deal!

I took some pictures of the fab, I'll post them with a how-to as soon as I thrash it and make sure it works well and holds together.

Now, let's go get dirty!

Comment

Ok, I whooped that mud hole's ***! Yeehaw! Even got to pull a handfull of Fords from the pit. My cool little cable system wasnt finished in time, so here's what I did:

I took off the vacuum motor and cut it to pieces.
                          cad3.jpg

Then I used a bench grinder to clean up the part that looks like a nut and slides into the CAD housing cover
                          CAD1.jpg

Then I had a little button, like this, when it was all said and done.
                          cad2.jpg

I had to reach under there and push the rod (connected to the fork) to lock in the axle before I hit the hole, but it pushed right on in and did it's job. I'm workin' on the cable "system" now using a throttle cable bracket and a $4 choke cable from AutoZone. When it's done I'll show it off.

Comment

Yep, glad ya redeemed yourself! Good ingenuity too!

Comment

Originally posted by 712edf View Post
                              Yes any post 80 Dodge with the CAD (central axle disconnect) axle would be vulnerable to failure. I believe CAD axles were introduced in 85 and were used on most Dodge 4x4's up to 2002 or whenever the solid axle disappeared. The exception would be the cummins (89-93) trucks with the Dana 60 front and those had selectable locking hubs. CAD axles after 93 I think use a different posi-lock cable set-up than the 85-93 yrs. I don't know what's under the 2003 & up solid axle rigs.
                              My buddy's got a 2007 Hemi Ram with IFS (4x4) and it has electronic CAD. I asked him if it was ok for me to tear his out and "modify" it like mine so he wouldn't run into the issues I had...

He politely declined.

Comment

Working...
                              X