Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transmission switch, what is it? (Los Angeles CA)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission switch, what is it? (Los Angeles CA)

Hello,

My 4x4 hasn’t worked since purchase, a little something the PO omitted to make the sale. After checking with a shop (verbally) of my issues he mentioned that there is a switch that the 4x4 lever should press in order to engage the 4x4. I got underneath and discovered that this switch has been stripped and wasn’t making contact with picture 2. If not, he mentioned it could be the Tranfercase. Again, this has not been seen by him.

My question is what is the function of this switch? What is it called? How do I find part numbers on these older trucks? If it is the transfercase, is there any members local in the Los Angeles area that is a mechanic willing to help, or can recommend a cheep and friendly shop? I don’t have much knowledge of my Dodge.

My truck is a 76 PW, 360ci, 4speed, Not fulltime 4 wheel drive. I don’t know what diffs I have.

OT: What happen to the search tab? I must be going blind.

TIA,

Steve

First of all your truck should have came with full-time 4x4. The switch you show I believe is only for the 4x4 indicator light in the dash, has nothing to do with the engagement of the 4x4. Dodge 4x4 t-cases were lever activated til I think 2003 or so & then it was still optional. Now some of the front axles were vacuum actived. These were the CAD or central axle disconnect versions that came about in 1985. Yours should'nt have that axle unless it was swapped in. Can you tell if your t-case or axle have been changed? What does the t-case shifter knob say? (hi-loc,hi,neutral,lo,lo-loc) or (2hi,4hi,N,4lo)? Does the front axle have selectable locking hubs,a drive flange, a cap, or just a big nut in the center of the front wheel? Once we know what you've actually got it'll be easier to figure out why you don't have 4x4, but I'm pretty sure that switch isn't the reason.

Comment

Thank you for the reply 712edf. When I initially signed up you were the first person to question the year of the truck and the fact that it had lockout hubs. Here is the link to my first post http://www.powerwagonadvertiser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9025.

There are some cleaner pictures of the diffs in page 2. Just when I thought the switch was the problem!

As far as the t-case shifter it reads: LO-LOC – LO – N – HI – HI.LOC.

Comment

Now I remember this truck. Well I'm almost certain the switch doesn't have anything to do with your problem. I think your truck still has the full-time 203 t-case it came with. Your problem could be A: Bad t-case. B: Someone install part-time conversion to your t-case C: Something in the front axle is not transmitting power to the wheels. This could be the differential,axleshaft,locking hubs....What position is the t-case selector in when you drive it normally? HI is the regular position for everyday driving. When you say the 4wd is not working, Do you mean the front driveshaft never is driven by the t-case, or does the truck become immobile in certain selector positions? (besides N)....You'll have alot of friends in CA from this site. Sit tight!

Comment

Oh yeah the SEARCH button I think is for PWA subscriber's & premium forum member's only now. This is a recent change to the site.

Comment

I see… the truck is driven in HI but who knows what the PO drove it in. If I lock the Hubs and turn the driveshaft I can see the front tires twitch, which leads me to believe that the hubs, differential and driveshaft are working.

The time I did shift it into Hi-Loc, the driveshaft wasn’t being driven by the t-case.

Today I was able to remove the grease on the Serial Plate on the transmission and it reads:

New Process Gear
            Model: 4530
            Ratio: 456
            Serial: 3735975
            ? No. 5 6 76

Hopefully this helps a bit. Thank you.

Comment

Instructions for NP203 transfer case linkage adjustment are in the thread at the link:

http://www.powerwagonadvertiser.com/...adjust+linkage

Comment

The numbers on the transmission (dated may 1976) aren't exactly what we're looking for. Somewhere on the t-case probably up high/in front by where the shifter rods go is a 2" round metal tag (usually covered in gunk) that I'll bet says new process gear model 203 and list a ratio like 2.0 to 1 or maybe 1.96 to 1 (can't remember). Based on what your saying I think your axle is ok and the problem is either in the linkage (JimmieD points this out) or the t-case itself. On a properly working STOCK (unmodified) np203 when in Loc (Hi or Lo) both driveshafts are locked together and both will be driven by the engine/trans/tcase. Both will turn at the same speed as the differential action of the t-case is eliminated (they are locked together)! If the chain breaks the front output won't be driven, But the vehicle will only move (under its own power) IN the loc position. Since your truck drives in Hi ( and I assume Hi-Loc,Lo,Lo-Loc too) I don't think the chain is broken. I think maybe a parttime conversion kit has been installed and something is amiss with that. Pieter has some good pics around here of a 203 that I'll try and find and bump up so you can see if yours looks the same. Maybe Adventuresport will hop in here somewhere as he has vast experience in these year models.

Comment

My bad the tag may be rectangular, but its surely located right behind where the shift rods are...In the parts for sale/wanted forum look for a thread titled "np203?" by drp2671..it has pics of a 203 t-case.This thread was back in november of 08.

Comment

This is Deja Vu all over again...= )
                    Seems we ID'd this as a NP 203 last time???
                    That is a NP203 lever.
                    The NP 4350 transmission is a close ration, fully syncro'd model of the NP 435 transmission and is often, incorrectly confused as a NP 435.
                    If it has selectable hubs, one of a few things happened:
                    1) The front axle was swapped. (a picture of the axle hub will answer this question)
                    2) A milemarker kit was installed.
                    3) The 203 case has an issue with the linkage adjustment.

My shop is east of LA in Walnut, by appointment only.
                    We could look at it if you do not find out what the problem is.

Comment

deja vu all over again

I think we have had more than 1 person on this site recently get a 203 vehicle that has had selectable locking hubs installed. GrizzAk bought a black W200 clubcab flatbed that I think had tcase issues and selectable hubs. I'm sure there are others, just can't remember them all.

Comment

Working...
                      X