If it ain't one thing its another...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If it ain't one thing its another...

Got the leaks stopped..got the truck to crank...Ran fine, idled at 1000rpms by the OLD stewart warner tach the day before yesterday. It ran about 10 minutes just idling and I'd rev it every so often. Temp gauge stayed in the middle for I'd say 8-9 of those 10 minutes. Then it pegged it! I have replaced the plug wires, starter, starter relay, and the carb. It has a 770 cfm Holley Avenger on it. Now to crank it I have to use starting fluid. It will crank right up, and idle 22-2300 rpms. I can press against the like I'm closing it with the throttle lever on the carb to get it back down to 1000ish it'll stay there about 10 secs then slowly shut its self off. If I rev it I'd say around 3500rpms it'll stumble but if I go higher say 4000ish it smooths off. I can't find my gauge to test the compression, but I'm willing to bet this engine is JUNK.

I'm about ready to drop my 350 in here just untill the 452 is assembled...Least I'll have a o/d trans :-)

Did your ignition timing slip? Wrong timing will make them hard to crank and/or run hot. Sounds like the timing may be retarded too much.

Comment

I have no idea if the timing slipped. I know for one I haven't touched the distributor, so maybe the chain jumped? Wouldn't suprise me as I'm bettin $$ this engine wasn't rebuilt...unless it was 20 years ago and then it broke again lol.....guess I am pulling it and going to tear it down. So the sbc goes in asap to have a running reliable engine till the 452 is done!

Comment

I love how my tools walk off. Brand new timing light still in the package! Oh well after a quick google is 4* above tdc right?

Comment

If an engine idles/runs fine for several minutes, then suddenly shows Hot on the gauge, and subsequintly is hard to crank & no longer idles properly, I'd say something happened in that initial run..Something got moved like the timing. Something happened inside the carb. Something happened inside the engine. And yes you could have cooked something there, not sure what to make of this.

Comment

Originally posted by Disturbeds10 View Post
            I love how my tools walk off. Brand new timing light still in the package! Oh well after a quick google is 4* above tdc right?
            Any where from TDC to 4 degrees BTDC is about right for a 70's 360. Later years ran more initial advance like 10-12 BTDC

Comment

Well I put the carb on the 350. It cranked right up and idled perfect at 800 and screamed all the way to 6200 rpms. :-D so thanfully that isn't the problem.

Thankfully I bought this whole truck for $400, so I dont feel bad other than being lied to about the mechanical condition. I'm going to pick up a timing light and check it just to see how far its off. I will throw it on the stand once I get it out and prolly mess with it till it dies a slow painfull and loud death :-D

Comment

Originally posted by 712edf View Post
                Any where from TDC to 4 degrees BTDC is about right for a 70's 360. Later years ran more initial advance like 10-12 BTDC
                Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                X