Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P/s box rebuild '77

Hi guys,

My gear box is leaking at the pitman arm and I am wondering If the seal can be replaced without pulling the unit off the truck ?

Can you get just the seal ?

Any advice welcome

Many Thanks,

Don't believe you need to pull the whole box to get to the seal. You'll need a 2 jaw puller to get the pitman arm off. Not sure what's involved in getting the old seal out, I bet its messy.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, I will tear into it on the weekend.

Comment

Even if the whole box needs to come off, definately get that pitman arm pulled first. It'd be a bear to remove on the ground.

Comment

Well I got to looking closer at the Box tonight. I can get no movement ( in or out ) on the impute shaft. ( steering wheel ) but I can get some up and down / side to side movement at the output shaft ( pitman arm )

I am pretty sure this is causing my leak, But I am wondering :

1) does this mean that the box is shot, I don't want to pull it to put a new seal in it if it won't cure the problem... Not having the money for a new box right now I would just live with the leak.

2) Can this play be adjusted out with the adjustment screw opposite of the pitman arm ? or maybe even by adjusting the nut on the impute shaft ?

I don't understand the inner workings of these boxes to know.

Thanks,
          Nick

Comment

The "play" that the adjustment screw is for is the lash that may be present if your steering wheel turns some before your pitman arm moves. Sounds like your pitman arm movement is much greater than just too much play. While tighting the adjuster may diminish the problem, I'd venture to say it's time for a new/rebuilt box. In time if left uncorrected this condition could worsen to the point of "steering" you into bigger problems.

Comment

I'm going to take a guess that you have a standard rotation steering box? The pitman moves parallel to the ground?

If money is tight, you may just go to a junkyard and get one that isn't leaking or is relatively clean looking. I can't see them charging an extreme amount of money.

If I had an extra, you would be welcome to it, but I don't at the moment. Actually, I may have one if I decide to part out my 91 1-ton.

Are you going to The Indiana Rally in 2 weeks? Looking at the map, it's maybe 2 hrs West of you...

Pieter

Comment

It is a reverse rotation box ( 1977 M880 / W200 )

I just came across a thread last night that talks about the rally and have not made up my mind yet if I am going. I have all ready made a commitment to take the truck this year to other events and may soon find myself in a position where I have to cancle those trips.

I work as a parts supplier for the automotive / trucking industry and we just Layed off 20% of our work force two days ago. With the bankruptcy of Chrysler and GM shutting down their plants for a couple of months it is just a matter of time before I am out of a job.

If anyone has a good box bring it to the rally, If I do make it I will buy it from you.

Thanks,
                Nick

Comment

While I haven't rebuilt a box like yours I have done other ones. Replacement of the seal will work if your only issue is a bad seal. If there is a worn out bushing or a bad bearing the shaft will be able to move sideways as well as rotating. The seal area of the shaft could be worn or pitted. If these issues aren't fixed during the repair the new seal will also leak.

Comment

Ok,

I got movement side to side and up and down, ( as well as play in rotation ) not a lot, probably less than 1/16th. But when I move it you can see fluid sneek out past the seal.

would tighting up the nut on the impute shaft ( from what I read this pe-loads the bearing ) solve this ?

Thanks,
                    Nick

Comment

The last 1977 M884, that I worked on had a manual steering box. Do you have a manual or power steering box?

Unfortunately, I don't have any reverse rotation boxes :o(

Pieter

Comment

They came from Dodge manual, But I converted it over to P/S, pulling everything from a 1979 Ramcharger......

Comment

well, I turned in the adjusting screw 3/4 of a turn and have been driving it for the last three days without any leaks at the pitman seal.

I am not sure why it seems to be working, but so far so good....

I am wondering, ( because I am not compleatly sure ) does turning the screw in make the gears ride deeper into each other, Or does it make the gears ride closer to the ends of the teeth ?

Thanks,

Comment

Working...
                          X