auto o/d trans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• auto o/d trans

Was there ever a o/d trans from the factory behind a bigblock? Any way to possibly mate a 518 trans if you cut the smallblock bellhousing off and use a bigblock one instead? I'm trying to stay away from gear vendors as much as I can cause of the high pricetag added to rebuilding my 727.

What you have to do is get a big block 727 and a small block or cummins 518 and have a transmission shop (or yourself) swap cases. Not sure what convertor would be best & I figure there's some details that others will bring to your attention.

Comment

ok sweet cause i just found a cummins auto truck with a blown engine in the junkyard.. about how much are they worth?

Comment

I have been looking around on google and playing with cam software trying to find a lockup converter after reading a page on a smallblock 727 to 518 swap using an electronic and vaccum actuated lockup controller. Also been trying to find out just how much abuse the 618 can handle. Right now it'll be turning 38.5x14.50s with either 4.88s or 5.13s. It will evenyually go up to 42x15.50s. I dont have an exact hp or tq # but Comp estamates 500+hp and 700+ tq on a 543 ci build. That was with the K21-225-4 cam kit, stock heads with 2.08/1.74 valves and a crappy dual plane intake and 850cfm carb.

Comment

Originally posted by Disturbeds10 View Post
          ok sweet cause i just found a cummins auto truck with a blown engine in the junkyard.. about how much are they worth?
          About as much as a Hemicuda, seeing as how they (cummins) are supposedly indestructable a blown one would be a one-of-a-kind rarity!.....Honestly don't know how to place a value on a non-running cummins truck. Be sure that it has enough usable parts on it to justify its cost...As for getting a 518 to hold up to a built big block, look into what the performance transmission vendors are offering to put behind these high mojo chipped cummins rigs in all the fancy magazines. If they can get a tranny to have to balls to hold up to the diesels they can do the same to one going behind a gasser, given enough $$$$$$$. The only difference is it'd have to be within a big block bell case...Don't know whats out there as far as convertor options go, but anything can be built if you want it bad enough.

Comment

I am gonna check it out tomorrow. Hopefully it isn't tooo beat. It is a ext cab 2wd. If it was only 4wd I would throw my 74 front clip on and call it a day ;-) I usually get good deals, but I have never priced diesel parts in a junkyard. I'm hoping it inst as bad as buying new diesel parts. My dad has a 95 F350 Powerstroke and they sure are proud of it at the stealership!

Comment

I would take a guess that if the block is blown, it is a "53" block...

Or it died with the "killer dowel pin" and no one wanted to mess with it after...

pieter

Comment

Well I'm heading out now, fingers crossed.

Comment

What year is the junkyard truck? 1994 & up will have a lock up TC which needs the computer or external switch.

The TC won't work anyway because of the diesel rpms vs gas rpms right? But that's what everybody upgrades on a CTD anyway. Goerend seems to be the one of choice but there are others out there too.
                  1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
                  1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
                  1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
                  2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

It was a 95. I figured the tq converter wouldnt work. If the case isnt cracked I will be getting it next week

Comment

Working...
                    X