440 Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 440 Questions

Hey gents, Went and picked up a 1978 440 with stock heads and crank shaft that I am going to dump in my power wagon. Can I pull 400hp out of the stock heads and crank with roller rockers and various other after market add ons? Basically what would be a good reliable build up that will get me the best amount of horse power without spending more than 3500.00. Anybody that has some experience with a 440 in their ride, I would be greatful for your input.

400 horses out of a 440 for $3500.........shouldn't be a problem. While a 78 crank is less desirable I think it might be up to the task. I'm just not sure about its durability/longetivity. Building big horsepower (actually you want torque) is one thing, building big horsepower that'll still be around months/years from now is another matter. But I don't consider the amount of power you're after unreasonable.
    I'd say the first ingredient is some good pistons. I'd recommend Ross or maybe Wiseco forged flattops, yeilding somewhere in the area of 9.5 or 10 to 1 compression.
    Those heads, while not the most desired, can bring good results if put in the right hands. Here you have to weight factors such as costs of springs/valves (larger maybe) and availability of competant machine shop vs maybe just buying aftermarket heads. Can't say cause when I did mine years ago there was no aftermarket hardly. Now you have more options.
    Other things to address are good oil pump, timing, which cam (I went with the .509 lift mopar perf), rockers, intake (I went Edelbrock 750 avs on old style torker manifold, but most will recommend a dual plane manifold), ignition (I went magneto, but a Chrysler electronic should do the trick), and exhaust (headers are a PITA to deal with, but as of yet I still have 'em).
    Also I'd recommend a hi-torque mini starter.
    If you tell us your specifics like vehicle weight/gears/tires/drivetrain,etc. and just as importantly what you primarily want to do with it (tow, mud bog, drag race, tug o war with Fords), we'll have a better idea what to say.
    Check out www.440source.com

Comment

Hey, thanks for the response. that is a great web site link. I guess when it comes down to it I'll spend what ever needed to keep the engine reliable, If that means aftermarket heads and crank, so be it. I'm sure I can make up some of the cost off selling the stock parts. I basically just want a bad *** engine for towing and for the occasional 4X4 trip. I,m guessing that the wieght of the truck is around 2500 to 3000 lbs. I have the original 4 speed manual which I believe is a t-18, not sure on transfer case probably 203, gotta crawl under the truck. And danna 44 front and rear. I'm going for a 4" lift with 35 and not sure on gearing yet.

Comment

t-18?

I think your 4-speed is more likely a new process 435, but I'm often wrong......You can make a 440 do almost anything, yet fuel mileage won't be a strong suit. Which is why they make little sissy vehicles for us to tool around in:-)

Comment

Not worried about fuel prices I figured the truck is paid for.

Comment

My 440

Here's a list of some of what's in mine. It's in (for now) a 78 W200 club cab longbed with 435/divorced 205 turning a pair of D60's (4.10)

1967 block, forged crank,rods
            906 heads with 2.14/1.81 valves, hardened seats, ported (can't recall which springs)
            Ross 10-1 flat-top forged pistons .040" over
            mopar perf .509" 292D camshaft
            Milodon roller chain
            Vertex magneto rewound by Don Zig
            Accel solid core 8mm wires
            Edelbrock Torker 440 (the discontinued version)
            Edelbrock 1407 750cfm
            Hedman headers (for now)
            Melling hi-vol/hi-pres oil pump
            all the various others odds/ends to screw it together

This engine was assembled/balanced by a local machine shop that did various work on Eddie Hill's top fueler back then. The head work was done by a member of Hill's pit crew. It was basically a long block when I received it. I just put on the peripherals.

Comment

I loved the 440 I had in my '78. The only issue I had was the oil pick-up tube breaking. The B/RB oil pump is in the front and in trucks the pan sump is in the rear, this makes for a long tube. I cracked two tubes then on the third I put a magnet under the pick-up to prevent shaking and stress cracks at the pump.

Comment

Originally posted by greg rider View Post
                I loved the 440 I had in my '78. The only issue I had was the oil pick-up tube breaking. The B/RB oil pump is in the front and in trucks the pan sump is in the rear, this makes for a long tube. I cracked two tubes then on the third I put a magnet under the pick-up to prevent shaking and stress cracks at the pump.
                another trick that works also is buy a HEMI main cap bolt with the 3/8,s threaded stud built in and make a bracket to the pickup

Comment

Working...
                X