I need a measurement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a measurement

Can someone please measure the tailgate opening on a 72-79 bed? I have a bed that has a broken weld at the bottom of the corner post to the rear valance and need to know what the distance is between the corners. I believe I have it pulled to the original location following the old line of paint but want to make sure. I can't put the tailgate in due to the way I have it pulled with a comealong. Thanks

measurement

If it's a stepside, I can't help you, but the wide beds I have plenty of.

I measured 3 and got 67 1/8, 67 3/16, and 67 1/4. I measured at hinge level and the exterior sheet metal that rolls around from the tail light.

Hope this helps.

Dennis

Comment

Tailgate opening

Hey Ron, My bed is as close to brand new as your gonna get in a 74 bed and I have 67 1/4" with no paint (sandblasted). If you need anything else just yell or stop by. By the way I was impressed with what you are doing to that bed its coming along very well. Cant wait to see it when your done.

Comment

Originally posted by iranch View Post
        If it's a stepside, I can't help you, but the wide beds I have plenty of.

I measured 3 and got 67 1/8, 67 3/16, and 67 1/4. I measured at hinge level and the exterior sheet metal that rolls around from the tail light.

Hope this helps.

Dennis
        Dennis, thanks I have 67 3/16" so I'm good. Do you have any beds that are beyond repair? This bed was mashed hard on the drivers side top rail. I have it ALMOST back into shape. The rear corner is the worst and I could use a section from the corner vertical body line forward about 18" and down from the top 12". The rolled edge is creased and work hardened to the point that it would be much easier to section in a piece. I can get a picture to show what I need if you would be able to cut up a bad bed. If not I can look for one around here. Thanks Ron

Comment

bed

I don't have any I would want to chop up right now, but I do have a neighbor that also has a few. I won't be able to catch up with him until the weekend, he's on his honeymoon this week, I don't think I'll bother him.

If you find something local before then let me know, I need to talk to him anyway so no problem there. He's got a 53 1ton I want to beat him out of.

Dennis

Comment

There is absolutely no rush on this. Just knowing there is a piece out there is fine right now. IF and it's a big if he wants to cut up a bed I'll get an actual size on what I need. When you do talk to him ask for a cost please. I'm sure there are a few left around here. I was hoping to find a complete 6 1/2 ft bed for this truck but the closest one is in WA. I'll let you know if I do find something close to save you the bother.

Comment

No go on the scrap bed

I was finally able to talk to the Dodge guy neighbor and he doesn't have a bed he's willing to cut up either, They are getting rare enough around here that everybody is saving everything.

I wish more people had put away the Power Giant parts years ago. There were less of them to start with and I'm beginning to believe I have all the ones left in the county. I currently have 6 and intend to make them into 3 good units eventually.

When the cows are mostly gone (have owned at least 1 or more cows for 54 years and will probably die owning a few) and the land is rented out, I'll have plenty to keep me busy in my old age.

Now off the check and feed cows, then spray pastures. No Dodges today.

Dennis

Comment

Thanks Dennis, I'll keep looking and I'm sure something will show up. I could cut out the section, straighten it and weld it back but a replacement would of course be better.

The PG parts are getting fewer and father between but I'm afraid you don't have them all. My friend has 17 or 18 PG's in Iowa. And there is the hoard in Colorado too. What years and models do have ? The PG's are really getting more popular as people find out what great trucks they really are. We had seven Power Giants at my rally a week ago. Which reminds me I need to get my pictures downloaded.

Comment

Power Giants

The current inventory is a 57 W100, 59 W200 and 60 W500. The parts trucks are a 57 D100, 59 D100 and 60 D100. No 58's, I can't say that I've ever seen one live and in person.

When I say I have them all, I mean locally. Back then we never had a very good Dodge dealer around here and it shows. The local dealer sold them as a side line to his other businesses and dealt mostly in cars and a few trucks if somebody wanted to order one, no stock. Ford and GM were very dominant, they(50's and 60's) seem to be all over the place.

Oh well, I have all I need right now and more will probably show up.

The complete inventory of trucks is much bigger.

running and moving (stopping is optional)
                  56 D200 259 4sp
                  57 W100 315 4sp
                  59 W200 318 4sp
                  60 W500 225 slant 6 cobbled into it, 318 poly on the shop floor for it
                  64 W300 318 5sp
                  77 W150 400 auto
                  83 W250 318 auto
                  90 W350 CTD DRW Gertag 5sp
                  90 W150 318 auto - Dad's truck
                  93 Grand Cherokee 318 auto
                  3 M37s
                  M43
                  52 F7 Ford with a Marmon-Harrington conversion
                  51 F4 Ford with a Coleman conversion
                  GTB Ford (Burma Jeep)
                  43 GMC CCKW353
                  51 GMC M135
                  48 CJ2A Jeep

Not running parts trucks ?????
                  M37
                  40 Dodge ½ ton 55 ply 230 engine 3sp
                  57 D100 315 4sp
                  59 D100 318 4sp
                  60 D100 318 3sp
                  77 D100 318 auto short wide box
                  78 D150 318 auto long wide box
                  76 D200 van Santana high top camper conversion 360 auto
                  76 D300 Sportsman camper
                  Misc (only another 5 or 6 Fords and Chevies)

I just got the CTD last September and now wonder why I have all the rest.

Dennis

Comment

That's quite the ummm.... stable you've got there ha ha. That's rather funny to me about the not seeing 58's. I've seen and worked on more of those than any other year it seems. I've got three 58's here right now, one getting finishing touches, one in the rebuilding stage and the other just fresh in from Oklahoma this winter. I find it interesting that all your PG's are V-8's. The 315's are snappy little motors and the poly 318's are real torque motors. Are you near Canistota,SD ? We were out there a 3 years ago for a wedding and did a day trip to Mitchel to see the Corn Palace.

Here's a picture of Jerry Johnson's 58 truck that was at my rally last week. It has a 315 with a cast iron automatic and is a running, stopping truck. It needs some bodywork and paint but being a western truck it is very solid.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by iranch View Post
                      The current inventory is a 57 W100, 59 W200 and 60 W500. The parts trucks are a 57 D100, 59 D100 and 60 D100. No 58's, I can't say that I've ever seen one live and in person.

When I say I have them all, I mean locally. Back then we never had a very good Dodge dealer around here and it shows. The local dealer sold them as a side line to his other businesses and dealt mostly in cars and a few trucks if somebody wanted to order one, no stock. Ford and GM were very dominant, they(50's and 60's) seem to be all over the place.

Oh well, I have all I need right now and more will probably show up.

The complete inventory of trucks is much bigger.

running and moving (stopping is optional)
                      56 D200 259 4sp
                      57 W100 315 4sp
                      59 W200 318 4sp
                      60 W500 225 slant 6 cobbled into it, 318 poly on the shop floor for it
                      64 W300 318 5sp
                      77 W150 400 auto
                      83 W250 318 auto
                      90 W350 CTD DRW Gertag 5sp
                      90 W150 318 auto - Dad's truck
                      93 Grand Cherokee 318 auto
                      3 M37s
                      M43
                      52 F7 Ford with a Marmon-Harrington conversion
                      51 F4 Ford with a Coleman conversion
                      GTB Ford (Burma Jeep)
                      43 GMC CCKW353
                      51 GMC M135
                      48 CJ2A Jeep

Not running parts trucks ?????
                      M37
                      40 Dodge ½ ton 55 ply 230 engine 3sp
                      57 D100 315 4sp
                      59 D100 318 4sp
                      60 D100 318 3sp
                      77 D100 318 auto short wide box
                      78 D150 318 auto long wide box
                      76 D200 van Santana high top camper conversion 360 auto
                      76 D300 Sportsman camper
                      Misc (only another 5 or 6 Fords and Chevies)

I just got the CTD last September and now wonder why I have all the rest.

Dennis
                      Wow.....
                      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

58s

Ron, I follow the forums enough to know how the 1958 Dodges go thru your shop, That's why I mentioned it. I wouldn't mind finding one, a W300 would make a full house, 57 W100, 59 W200, 58 W300, 60 W500.

Canistota is about 30 miles south of here. There's great camping just east of there on Lake Vermilion, it's off the beaten path and a little less of a "mini city" on holiday weekends. Mostly fishermen and local families, I haven't been down there for a couple years but it was a good place.

Dennis

Comment

Working...
                        X