Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 to 72 interchange

Hello all,
    I'm a newbie on the forum and to W200 ownership.
    I recently purchased a 72 W200, 360 Auto(not running), NP205 Divorced, Dana 44 4:09 Front, Dana 60 rear. I have a few questions about parts that are swappable between model years.From what I have read here seems like most mechanical parts are interchangeble up to 1993. I have located a running 1989 Ram 250 4x4 with a TBI 360 auto with a very severe rust problem.
    1. I would like to use the front disc brakes from the 89. Can I swap the parts from the knuckles out on the axle? ( I remember reading something about late 80's front axles and some kind of axle disconnect feature and I can't seem to find the thread again.)
    2. Would the booster and master be a bolt on?
    3. Will motor mounts be the same?
    Thank you,
    John

1. Maybe. Is your 44 an open knuckle? Is the 89 a CAD axle? Is it also a 4.09 ratio? Sometimes a complete axle swap is more feasible. In your case don't know. Maybe you can swap from knuckles out, maybe the knuckles themselves have to be swapped also.

2. Again maybe. May require fabrication of pushrod lenght, fitting sizes,etc.

3. Probably.

I'm not much help as I'm not familar with what was under the hood in 89.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply.
      My 44 is open knuckle. I believe the 1989 is CAD, when I talked to the owner of the truck he said the actuator for the front axle was not working. I'm not familiar with this CAD axle. Is it a dana 44 with different internals?

Comment

Cad

Central Axle Disconnect....Yes its different. Ring/pinion may be same set-up, but a CAD axle has a vacuum actuated sliding collar on the long axle shaft (going to driver's side wheel), which is where the "locking" mechanism is. On traditional (like your 72) axle the locking mechanism is at the hub. A cable set-up is available to replace the vacuum actuator, costs is around $160. A member here was able to "fabricate" his own actuator much cheaper. I personally don't have a problem with the CAD axle if the vacuum set-up is replaced, as long as the engine or wheel/tire combo aren't too heavy.

If your looking just to switch to disc brake another option, though costly, is going to the larger Dana 60 front axle.

Comment

I found a picture of the CAD axle, looks like the left axle shaft is two pieces with the sliding collar, lock out your hubs without getting out of the truck. Convenient but probably a weak link in the axle.
          I think it would probably work to swap out the knuckles and from the axle U joint out as the part # s for ball joints and U joints are the same.
          For right now I took a pass on the 89 truck that I found. The rust was too bad on everything including axles. It ran good and started right up though.

Comment

all you need is from the knuckles out from the 89 / dont bother with the CAD axle / take the parts you need and throw the rest away

Comment

Thanks Dodgeboys,
              So the stub end of the axle would be the same? Will I be able to use my warn lockout hubs?

Getting away from the axle question for second, do you have a FSM for the 72 w200? There is a swap meet coming up in a couple weeks with one of the regular vendors selling nothing but service manuals, if he does not have one I would be interested in one.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobiehunter View Post
                Thanks Dodgeboys,
                So the stub end of the axle would be the same? Will I be able to use my warn lockout hubs?

yes the stub shaft is the same

Getting away from the axle question for second, do you have a FSM for the 72 w200? There is a swap meet coming up in a couple weeks with one of the regular vendors selling nothing but service manuals, if he does not have one I would be interested in one.
                yes l do have that FSM in stock

Comment

Working...
                X