Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st Post/Question? 75 w100 Timing Marks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by opqual View Post
    Didn't want to be going to all this trouble for no reason.
    Funny thing is if you had the coin you were just a matter of minutes away from having the cam swapped out.

Comment

I have money for a cam... I haven't put anything back together yet. Still waiting on all the parts I ordered.

My buddy said I would have to pull the heads to do the cam swap? He said if i pulled out the cam, a bunch of stuff in the head would drop into the empty space?

Is this not true? I would surely take out those extra 3 bolts if the change was easy. If so, what would i replace it with? The engine iscompletely stock. I don't want anything to extreme, as to overwork the other parts of the system....

Regards,

Joel

Comment

Well your buddy is mostly right. The heads don't have to come off, but the valve covers do. This gives you access to the rockers, pushrods, and lifters which all must come out before the cam. Intake manifold may have to come off to get to lifters. I'm not sure on LA's.

If you do replace the cam do the cam bearings too. If you don't replace it be sure to put the lifters back into the same hole each one came out of. This is assuming you decide to pull the cam for inspection. I'll bet the lobes are wore some.

Going back stock or a aftermarket RV cam might be the way. Others here are more up on small blocks and will guide you properly.

Comment

Well...

I got it all put back together. It fired right up, but the timing marks still don't line up properly. The new timing chain definately is tighter than the old. I suppose there could be a myriad of things to cause this. I bought it used, and it's 35 years old.

****, it might not even be a 360? Could be a different engine than original. different cam, Slipped balancer....

So, I guess it's back to manifold vacuum, and vacuum gauge settings...

P.S. I didn't now that RTV could be so **** messy...

Thanks for all your help guys!

Regards,

Joel
          Vancouver,WA

Comment

So far, so good!

Looks like schucks sells an aftermarket electronic choke too...

That spring electrick choke that is house in the manifold doesn't work. It seems like to a total engineering piece of !@#$ !

Should I go manual choke or do the aftermarket electric choke?

Regards,

Joel

Comment

Working...
            X