Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 75 w100 dana 44 locking hubs?

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me what brand/part number I would need to buy locking hubs for my Dana 44 tc? I saw one online, but it skipped year 1975?

Are they even available? I would think it may help fuel mileage a bit?

Regards,

Joel
    Vancouver,WA
    Last edited by opqual; 06-18-2009, 02:03 PM. Reason: Small Block 360 2bbl

Dodges from 75 thru 80 had full time 4x4. No locking hubs available. The axles had drive flanges meaning everything remained hooked up at all times. Unhook something (remove a driveshaft, install selectable hubs) then the truck won't drive as the power will take the path of least (no) resistance.

No measureable fuel mileage gain will be noticed by toying with the 4x4 set-up. Concentrate your efforts on getting the engine in tune and possibly changing the fluids throughout the drivetrain to reduce rolling resistance. Depending on gears, carb, etc. expect 9-14 mpg out of this rig. It don't get much better than that.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

Bummer about the hubs. I'm sure glad I saw the posts about the grease fittings behind the rotor though. I lubed those up today. I pumped a bunch in there, and wasn't really sure when to stop. I saw nothing coming out the backside. I gave it 8-10 pumps on the ol' grease gun. If it needs more, let me know.

Also, should I replace the gasket when changing to 10w-30? And was this for the front and back, or just the front?

I'll get a pic of this truck up soon. I sure do enjoy that old truck smell... ;-)

Regards,

Joel

Comment

Mainly in 4-speeds & the t-case do people run a certain lubricant that lowers friction & eases shifting. Not sure what folks put in their axle diffs, but front & rear would be the same unless one had a type of limited slip that required an additive.

Grease those front bearings (u-joints too) regularly, keep proper tire pressure and possibly add a vacuum gauge (hooked to intake manifold vacuum port) to learn how to drive your rig economically. Oh yeah keep the motor tune razor sharp!

Comment

Just an F.Y.I.

MileMarker has a 75'-79' Full time 4WD Hub conversion kit. I can only assume that this isn't a cheap alternative.

http://www.milemarker.com/products/conversionkits.html

Regards,

Joel

Comment

I don't know firsthand, but some members here will tell you that the Milemarker conversion will NOT save you enough $$ in improved mileage to cover the cost of the product. This is not knocking Milemarker but if you don't want fulltime 4x4 you'd be money ahead to buy another truck. I switch a 78 W200 club cab from 727/203 to 435/divorced 205 but I didn't gain anything other than the PTO winch that the 205 had. The mileage on these trucks is what it is.

Comment

I guess I'll just wax nostalgic, and show it off when I make my trip to the dump.

LOL... It will cost more in gas than the cost of dumping the debris.

Regards,

Joel

Comment

What kinda mileage do you currently get? Less than 8 mpg means something's not right....8 to 11 is normal but tuning/driving style changes MAY improve it.....12 to 14 is excellent for your rig.

Comment

I don't know yet. I picked it up three weeks ago, and am doing the full tune up thing.

I went through 1/2 tank in 50 miles bringing it home... lol

I have rebuilt the carb and replaced everything excep timing chain and distributor.

I'm assuming there will be a change when I get it back on the road...

Hopefully!

Regards,

Joel

Comment

F.Y.I.

Some good detailed info on the kit and conversion process. After reading, I will definately pass on this.

I was also thinking about different tires. But I think I'll stick with the 30's after reading this article too...

Regards,

Joel
                    Vancouver,Wa

Comment

Working...
                    X