Transmission question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission question

Ok Almost got the lower part of my 440 back, I'll post pics when I get it. Question now is if I'm running this 440 with 400 to 500 hp(probably more tward 400) will the stock manual 4 speed Np 4530 I have be able to handle the power? Also I have a 360 and 318 Flywheel, I'll have to get a 440 spacific correct?

Tranny should be sufficent to handle it. 360 flywheel is externally balanced and won't work. 318 flywheel is internally balanced and will work if the 440 is also internally balanced (forged cranks were). If you need a new 143 tooth internally balanced flywheel (fits 318,383,440) go to www.kajunjon.com and they have them for around $185

Bucky

Comment

Thanks for the feed back and the web site. I have a forged crank and a used 318 fly wheel. Fly wheels are pretty bullet proof right, should just be able to get it resurfaced and it will be good to go?

Comment

Oh forgot to ask, The tranny has been sitting for about 10 years, I can just take it in and have a tranny shop go through it right?

Comment

Flywheels are mainly damaged by excessive heat or the starter grinding the teeth off . A machine shop will be able to tell you if yours is beyond repair.

Not a bad idea having the tranmission looked at, they'll find enough wrong with it to justify the looksie and sell you a rebuild. It'll give you peace of mind.

The transmission shouldn't be the weak link in your drivetrain. In "straight from the factory" condition the tires aren't usually able to bite good enough to damage much, but once you throw on some big meats and hop up the motor u-joints, axleshafts & such start to fail. Further upgrades can shift the monkey to the transmission's back.

Comment

Working...
          X