manual brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• manual brakes

What was the last year for manual brakes on Dodge "W" & "D" series trucks? I'm assuming @ 1975 when drums dissappeared (at least on W's). The reason I ask is I want to remove my booster and go to manual set-up, but need to find a pushrod from a truck w/o a booster, or do some fab work using the rod that's integrated into my booster. This truck is virtually never driven & I find boosters cumbersome & take up alotta space. I'm of the mind that there should be under the hood "nuthin but injun".

If someone could post a diagram/picture of what the pushrod assemblynlooks like on a manual brake set-up I'd be grateful.

Thanks,

Bucky

according to the 1974-76 parts book the push rod is the same for both brake systems / the rod POPS right out of the booster

Comment

Originally posted by DODGEBOYS View Post
      according to the 1974-76 parts book the push rod is the same for both brake systems / the rod POPS right out of the booster
      Thanks for the reply. I did get the rod out that is in the front of the booster (looks like an engine pushrod), but the larger rod that bolts to the brake pedal appears to be attached to the inside of the booster. Does this one come out or do I need one from a manual brake truck?

Comment

the back one is the one l was talking about / it should pull right out with a little force

Comment

embarassed but not enough

to prevent me from asking for a clearer understanding of brakes. My 77 m884 has manual brakes, but has what i think is a brake booster. it looks like a stubby propane tank. what does a brake booster do? Is it possible that my truck has power brakes and my booster is shot. brakes just feel like they're not power brakes? truck is all original as far as i know. no power steering either that I'm sure of!!

Comment

Booster is between master cylinder and firewall & yes some look like a stubby propane tank. Most use vacuum from the intake manifold to assist in braking (making the pedal easier to push). If a booster is not working the brakes will be just as hard to push as if the engine was not running. If a booster becomes ruptured I suppose it will create a vacuum leak resulting in the engine not running properly.

Diesels don't have vacuum so they use a different booster set-up.

DODGEBOYS: My booster is the type thats not big in diameter (maybe 8"-10") but kinda deep. The rod didn't seem to want to pull out so I figured it was attached inside. The truck is 2hrs away so it'll be awhile before I try again......Truck is 78 W200 club cab with Dana 60 front/rear if that matters any.

Comment

My dad tried to remove the rod from the back of the booster today. It didn't come out. If dad can't pull it out it's attached inside. Spins but that's about all.

Comment

Working...
              X