Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Easiest way to figure out your gear ratio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easiest way to figure out your gear ratio?

Hi All,

Assuming full time 4wd has the same gear ratio front and back, how do you figure out what ratio is on your truck?

Regards,

Joel
    Vancouver,Wa

Should be the same ratio front and rear, they can be off a little but too much and you will tear stuff up. Check your rear diff cover and see if you have a metal tag on it. Also on your front long side axle tube next to your diff should be some numbers stamped it. This is all assuming they havnt been regeared.

Comment

Thanks for the reply!

I'll take a look under there, and report on my findings...

Comment

pirate4x4.com used to have a link to download Dana BOM (bill of materials) numbers. Find the number stamped into the axle tube then look it up on the BOM chart and it'll show the original ratio along with some other specs. This chart is several pages long and difficult to download if you are on dial-up. On the rear axle this number is stamped (along with a date maybe) on the backside (same as dif cover) tube about halfway between diff cover and spring perch. Similar location for front axle too.

Comment

Wow! That is one **** of a site. Thanks for sharing. I think I found some info I can use once I gather up the numbers from the axles.

Regards,

Joel
          Vancouver,Wa

Comment

When in doubt... pull the cover and start counting teeth.

Comment

ya you have to watch out on pirate, if your not used to how things work over there. search search and search again before you ask anything. most over there are not newbie friendly.

Comment

I hear ya'. It looks like those guys blaze a trail for what cannot normally be done...

I'll tread lightly. Probably just read a lot...

Regards,

Joel

Comment

Originally posted by opqual View Post
                  I hear ya'. It looks like those guys blaze a trail for what cannot normally be done...

I'll tread lightly. Probably just read a lot...

Regards,

Joel

You could always come on over to ramchargercentral.com we're a real friendly bunch. :-)

Comment

thanks...

Comment

I found

My border patrol ramcharger on RC Central. I get the impression the east coast guys are a younger bunch- 20's. nice bunch

Comment

Originally posted by 74w300uteline View Post
                        My border patrol ramcharger on RC Central. I get the impression the east coast guys are a younger bunch- 20's. nice bunch
                        Well that's not the case here. he he he.......... I was born before the muscles car era.

There's a few of us that are 40 something in the PA chapter. :-)

Comment

Working...
                        X