Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I can't believe what I am doing, but am I really doing all that bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't believe what I am doing, but am I really doing all that bad?

I have a 91 Dodge D150. Its your run of the mill dodge pickup. Its it pretty good shape, but I can get $4500 towards a new Dodge for my wife if I do that "Cash for Clunkers" deal. Thats worth a lot more then what I can get from a private sale. I feel like crap knowing a good running truck would get scrapped, but my wife really needs a new car. She will be driving I-80 every day for 45 mins and I want her to be safe and free from possible break downs.

ugh...what do I do.
    Last edited by Gordon Maney; 07-25-2009, 05:53 AM.

Strip it then take it in lol. Have you talked to a car lot yet? Cause you can get "UPTO" 4500. Its not a guarantee.

Comment

Or go buy a $500 clunker to trade in and keep the 91

Comment

Yeah man. The dealer says if the truck is turned in then I get $4500 as long as I get a car/truck that gets 5mpg or more on an avg. then the 91 Dodge does.

Comment

500$ clunker

I believe you must prove ownership for 1 year back. I'm skeptical about this program but I've been considering a new bottom of the line jeep. I'm going in expecting to get screwed, disqualified or not avalible on that model bla bla bla. keep us posted

Comment

Go here to find out if your truck can be traded in.
            http://www.cars.gov/

Go here to find out your fuel economy
            http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm

Comment

Sometime in the future:

"Back in the day I used to have a ............, man I should never have gotten rid of that thing."

Comment

Well the new car/truck is for my wife causeshe has a 40 min commute on I-80. Me on the other hand would like to find a flat fendered PW from the 50s that can take me 6 miles down a country road to work.

Comment

Keep in mind a new vehicle will lose 30% of its value as soon as you take possession of it & will further drop even quicker if you're racking up the miles, which she would be doing. I am mentioning this for you to consider if you are doing some sort of financing. If paying cash, knock yourself out.

I'd get an efficient, inexpensive commuter type car with an outstanding warranty. No sense in getting a dream car just to wear out going back & forth to work in. Cars driven daily get tore up quickly! I drive junk everywhere and keep the nice ones put back for when I want to pamper myself. They're all paid for too.

Comment

Yeah well shes looking at the Dodge Caliber. The spoiler on the back is kinda lame though. My in-laws live in TX and it would be nice to have something with A/C. Plus I would never get $4500 for my truck any day of the week. So if I can get $3750 is dealer rebates and $4500 in Obama rebates which will give me $8250 off a new car...I cant complain.

Just a little sad to see it go. Atleast it might make it as a parts truck in a yard minus the engine and tranny.

Comment

You might be wise to look at something other than a Caliber, gas mileage is crap for a 4 cylinder. I have one with that wonderful world engine in it
                      (1.8) with a stick, have never gotten 30mpg yet. worst car I ever bought
                      The a/c takes forever to cool it off too.
                      DB69

Comment

UPDATE:

So my truck ate it in the Dodge parking lot. Blew a head gasket!

So my wife is now a proud owner of a 2009 Calber. She enjoys it and that means a lot. Im sad to see my truck go and Id lie if I said I didn't shed a tear. Been through a lot with the ol' truck. Its now time to find me another Dodge pickup. This time a Power Wagon from the late 50s to mid 60s. I got me a new job and its 5 miles down the backroad. So I can even get me a "toy" to take me to work.

Lets see what I find.

Comment

I hope she blew just after you signed her over to the dealer.

Obama is looking done over you and saying "Well done, good and faithful servant." LOL

Enjoy the new ride.

Bucky

Comment

Working...
                          X