77 W200 Fuel Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 77 W200 Fuel Problems

I recently purchased a 77 W200 or M880. I have had it a week. it had sat for about 3 or 4 months before i purchased it. I drained the fuel and put in a full tank. I also added a bottle of seafoam to clean out everything. Today I started it to run down the road and when giving it throttle it cuts out. If i push the accel. slowly it picks up and does fine. If I try to get into it hard it seems like its not getting fuel and cuts out. Is it not getting fuel or is it getting to much? Is the fuel filter cloged? Does the carb need rebuilt? any ideals. It runs very smooth at idle.

Thanks in advance for your ideals.

starvation

Its not getting enough fuel. Replace fuel filter. Carb is maybe gummed up or accelerator pump is bad. When you tank is about empty drain it through the fuel line, noting what's coming out. Don't drain it out on the ground & hurt Obama's feelings. Filter it into a jug & use it in your mower. Wouldn't hurt to clean or replace spark plugs if their age is unknown.

Allowing a vehicle to sit for months at a time can be worse than to continually drive them.

Bucky

Comment

l,d say the accelerator pump is bad

Comment

Accel Pump

Ok some one please tell me what the accel. pump is. Is this the fuel pump you are reffering to that sit on the side of the block? Help my truck won't run correct. Is it possible that a wiring problem could be the cause? or even possibly that the alternator is bad? my wipers and heater also don't work some times and some times they do?

Comment

The thing on the passenger side of the block towards the front is the fuel pump. The accelerator pump is inside the carb, usually on the front. When you move the gas pedal it moves the throttle shaft and also a rod that moves the accel pump.

With the truck running and everything off, disconnect the + battery cable. If the truck keeps running your alternator is fine. If it dies you have a problem in the charging system. Turn the ign off before reconnecting the cable.

These trucks are notorious for having wiring issues. Sounds like your connections throughout the truck are not making good contact. Typical of these rigs. Easy, or at least cheap to remedy. Take connections apart, clean/scuff them up. Reconnect. We all do this.

Bucky

Comment

Carb

I have the carb rebuild kit but i'm assuming that the accelerator pump does not come with the kit. Where would I get this so that I can replace it while rebuilding the carb.

Second Question is does anyone have a step by step rebuild for this carburator including the accelerator pump.

Comment

Most good carb rebuilt kits WILL have a new accel pump in it.

Comment

Alternator

I found the problem. The alternator is bad not allowing enough fire to burn the amount of fuel that is being delivered. I will verify this tomorrow with a replacement but from my troubleshooting it seems this is the problem. I hooked another vehicle to it with jumper cables and everything worked fine when unhook it would studder and die.

Comment

Working...
                X