New Truck!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Truck!

Hi everyone. Im new to this forum, so i figured id post what ive got, and i also have a few questions and maybe even some info. My father recently past on my grandfathers 77 w200 on to me. We are in the middle of the restoration right now. Its mostly all orginal but very rusty for spending its life in New England so we bought an M883 military truck for parts. My father mentioned something about our truck originally having decals on the side that said snow commander??? If someone has any info on that... also our truck supposably came from the factory with the plow setup, not a dealer installed option?? Its a 360 2v 4speed with D60 front and rear axle setup. Ive read that m880s were rated 1 1/4 ton because they had the d44 front axle and extra leafs in the rear... our m883 parts truck has the d44 with 5 rear leafs and 2 overloads. Our truck has d60 and 7 leafs and 2 overloads in the rear and im positive knowone has changed that stuff since its never left the family. So does this mean our truck is actually more than 1 1/4?? Thanks for any help, try to gets some pics up soon!

Welcome and congratulations on the ride.

You know I've never fully understood the "X" ton designation system. The GVWR ratings makes since, but don't know/what the "X" ton actually means.
    I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
    Will
    WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
    1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
    1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
    1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
    2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

5/4 ton rating

was for "overland" not "on road" something about speed and stopping ability.

Comment

Welcome to the site.

Comment

Welcome! grats & good luck with the truck.

Comment

Here is a link that talks about the Dodge sno-fitters and sno-commanders, It has some great info and pictures about your truck.

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/...40&an=0&page=0

The 1 1/4 ton " off road " rating was the rating that the Military gave the M880's. The fact that these trucks had a Dana 44 in the front is not the determining factor in this decision. Many think the Dana 60s were a better axle anyway....

Your truck is still rated a 3/4 ton but as we all know they will handle a wee bit more than that.

But Just Remember, hauling weight is one thing, stopping it is another.

Comment

cool thanks... yuup that sounds like my truck. Its got the same plow setup on it

Comment

Working...
              X