I need help w parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help w parts

I have a 1974 W100 Club Cab/M880 and have broken a u-joint. The mechanic says he can't find the yoke that holds the u-joint in place ... I am not a mechanic, so am at a disadvantage.

Any suggestions on where to find parts for drive shafts, u-joints, etc? It originally had a 318, but now has a 5.7L hemi mated to the original 727.

Thanks.

Glassman.

Which U-Joint?

There are probably 2 u-joints on the main driveshaft, probably 2 on the front driveshaft, and one in each short-shaft of the front axle. So that gives plenty to guess at. Likely that means 5 different u-joints in your truck.

Common U-joints have the same dimensions in both sides of the cross, and the same size cups for all 4 cups, but my 86 Dodge W250 has some "conversion joints" that have different dimensions on the 2 sides of the cross, and different diameter cups. Most of these trucks have been modified from original to make use of available parts. So, I'd suggest that you take the bad joint to your NAPA or whatever and ask them to match it up. A good parts man can do that, the newbee kid behind the counter doesn't have a chance.

There are some companies which specialize in driveshaft repair and U-joints. In our area, Proven Force, AKA Clutch and U-Joint is just one of those places. They have successfully met my Dodge and IH truck needs.

Good Luck,

Paul in MN

Comment

FOUND ON CRAIGSLIST

Parting Out 1975 Dodge Power Wagon W-100 4x4 Pickup - $1 (FairOaksCA)

Date: 2009-10-06, 2:03PM PDT
      Reply to: see below

Parting out 1975 dodge power wagon W-100 Adventurer Sport 4x4 pickup. -Dana 44 passenger side drop front differential unsure of gear ratio. Has mile marker hub conversion kit with locking hubs and disk brakes just has drivers side outer axel stub broken but probably can order from mile marker. -9 1/4 inch rear differential with drum brakes, unsure of gear ratio -Transfer case I have 2 np 203's one for locking hubs one for full time 4wd -Also for sale are as follows: -passenger side door, cab, bed, tailgate, behind seat fuel tank, front chrome bumper, rear custom towing bumper w/ high and low receiver locations, chrome door mirrors, wiring, hood, cowl, radiator, and more just call for details and prices thanks. I also have tons of extra under hood accesories etc too just call me!! Please call Eric before 8pm daily at (916) 747-9718

Comment

your 1974 dodge M880 is a 3/4 ton ton witha dana 44 HD in front and a dana 60 rear / the pinion yokes are a dime a dozen from just about anybody / i f thats what you broke

Comment

GlassMan ;

I am not trying to throw rocks at you, but in an effort to help you find the right parts there are a couple of things in your description of your truck that don't quite add up.

1) The M880s were 1976 and 1977 production
          (1976 beginning in Late 1975 )

2) There were no club cab M880s

3) The M880 were built from W200s,

This does not mean you do not have a truck that was used by the military, ( Fact is the military had Many Dodge 4WD trucks in the 70s and 80s expecially crew cabs ) Just that the truck you described is not an M880.

If you are only looking at parts for a " M880 " they may not be the right parts for the axle you have. I assume the " yoke " your are talking about is the part that bolts on the the axle side of the drive shaft ...

Is this correct ?

Is your truck a FT4WD ? ( full time 4WD )

Comment

A 1974 would be divorced 205 t-case, therefore have a third driveshaft.

Bucky

Comment

Working...
            X