Can't get the truck to start up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't get the truck to start up

Hey there guys I just picked up a 1977 Power Wagon a few days ago and it was starting up just fine. But it was yesterday night and I was starting it up to move it and while it was winding up it just cut out and now it wont do anything at all if I try to start it up, I don't get any clicks or barks from the thing at all. I tried jumping it to see if maybe the battery had just gone out on me but it looks like it is fine b/c the lights still turn on and the jump didn't make a difference. You guys think it could be the Alternator, Starter, Solenoid, Distributor? I just don't really know of anyways to check any of these. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Does it crank if you use a screwdriver to jump across the 2 posts on the starter solenoid (atop starter)? If no then you have starter issues or a broken wire.

Make sure neutral safety switch is hooked up and working (if automatic).

Alternator & distributor have nothing to do with cranking, only running. Actually it'll run a little while with a bad alternator, assuming good battery.

Bucky

Comment

I'll try it with the screwdriver, but what and where is the neutral safety switch?

Comment

Originally posted by Newtothegame View Post
        I'll try it with the screwdriver, but what and where is the neutral safety switch?
        Only automatics have this. Its on the driver's side of the transmission just below/behind where the shifter selector is . It has 3 prongs sticking out of it but they aren't visible unless the wire connector has came off. Often when driving off-road something will pull this wire connector loose, when you try to start it nothing happens, the vehicle thinks its not in Park/Neutral. The purpose of the switch is to prevent the engine from cranking in gear and power the white reverse lights. Its actually a ground switch, having no + current. If the switch is bad, no big deal, they aren't expensive. But kinda messy to change because when you remove it transmission fluid comes out.

The screwdriver should crank to engine irregardless of the condition of the NSS, distributor or alternator. Only a good starter/battery/wires are needed for cranking.

Actual firing is a different story, but let's get her turning over first.

Also if it does turn over with the screwdriver don't forget to turn the ignition key On to attempt to start the engine.

Plan on getting familar with the wiring on this truck. ALL Dodge trucks of this era have wiring issues.

Bucky

Comment

I'd say the starter relay isn't grounding.It is a little rectangular device on the drivers side inner fender.

Comment

Hey thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate all the advice. Unfortunately my professors don't seem to understand how important it is for me to fix this truck and keep deciding to have their midterms all week. I hope to get this figured out by friday. Thanks again

Comment

if you have nothing inside with the key you burnt a fusible link / they run from the BATT to the bulk head connector on the left fender well right below the starter relay / its a LARGE Red wire from the BATT and then it turns into 5 or 6 gray wires / the grey wires are the fusible links / pull on each one lighty / they should be firm / if one is rubbery thats the burnt one

Comment

77 Dodge W200 Wiring Diagrams

If needed, here is a Webshots link to them:

http://news.webshots.com/album/558344308cMmftO

Comment

Originally posted by DODGEBOYS View Post
                  if you have nothing inside with the key you burnt a fusible link / they run from the BATT to the bulk head connector on the left fender well right below the starter relay / its a LARGE Red wire from the BATT and then it turns into 5 or 6 gray wires / the grey wires are the fusible links / pull on each one lighty / they should be firm / if one is rubbery thats the burnt one
                  A '77 has fusable links???

While we're on that subject - does your literature show the ratings of fusable links on a '93? I need to know the amp rating for the ignition switch :)

Sounds like the nuetral safety switch on the trans is the easiest to check after shorting the solinoid. Mine will just vibrate off sometimes...
                  1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
                  1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
                  1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
                  2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Working...
                  X