Freeze plug question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freeze plug question

i have a leaking freeze plug from behind the bell housing. was wondering if i could just reach up in there and put some epoxy over the plug until i can realistically get it fixed. dont want to spend the cash to pull the transmission but i will if it needs to be done. do you think that this would work for a while? i understand i would need to replace it eventually.

Clunker method

Back in my younger days when I drove lots of clunkers I would use Alumaseal or K-W block seal . Try one treatment if it helps do it again. If the plug isn't too far gone it may help. Hope it helps.....Martin

Comment

Originally posted by liftedservicebed View Post
      Back in my younger days when I drove lots of clunkers I would use Alumaseal or K-W block seal . Try one treatment if it helps do it again. If the plug isn't too far gone it may help. Hope it helps.....Martin
      as a 35 year ASE master Mechanic the "SNAKE OIL" fix all leak sealers plug everything but the hole your try,in to seal / which means it plugs all coolant holes in the heads / and as far as reaching up there to epoxy it good luck / the tranny will slide back 3 to 5 inches and sit on the cross member without dropping it

Comment

DODGEBOY is correct but.........

DODGEBOYS Is correct but let me offer further elaboration.....Stop leaks have worked for me in some situations. If a person doesn't have the time , money , or knowledge for the correct fix. Also in some case's it simply may not be worth spending much money on a car that is expendable. By that I mean you purchased a cheap transportation car just to get you to work or around town and intend to drive it until it quits. From my own personal experience stop leaks have done the trick. I have used k-w block seal to seal a blown head gasket. That fix actually lasted over a year until I bought a better car. I have used Alumaseal to stop freeze plug , radiator and heater core leaks. I even used Bars Leak to seal a leaking pee hole on a waterpump. On that car you had to remove the timing belt and pulleys to replace the waterpump. A garage would have charged $500 bucks to fix a car I paid $300 for. When using these products I do recommend you turn on the heater to open the heater valve. This allows circulation into the heater core and prevents the heater valve from sticking.

Comment

I have had good luck with epoxy metal fixing gas tanks, exhaust pipes and making a throttle lock for my motorcycle... But I have always got the surface cleaned and roughed up with sand paper. If you can get to it I would try it.

That being said, I don't think you could get to it to prepare the surface properly without pulling the trans. and at that point you might as well do it right and replace the plug.

Let us know how you make out ....

Comment

Working...
          X