body lifts,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• body lifts,

I have never done one, was always against them. I currently have a 6 inch susp lift on my 77 dodge. want to put a 3 inch body lift on it. Would i have to to anything to the transmission shifter? Or anything else that would cause a headache? would be nice to know in advance lol.

l,m with you about body lifts sucking / they rip your truck apart / why dont you just do some sawzall trimming of the fenders or a body shop can do what they call ROLLING were they cut and roll the fender in on its self

the problems with body lifts - steering shaft [ lengthen or Borg ] e-brake cable [ lengthen or new bracket ] clutch linkage [ lengthen ] shifter [lengthen and bend plus cut floor to get full stroke back] RAD [lower ] bumpers [ raise or filler panels ]

Comment

ok, good. made my decision. Should of just bought a 8 inch susp lift ><

Comment

Hey 77rodge,
        I also have a 77 that will be lifted. Currently it is a D200 but I have all the running gear from a 79 W300 that will be fitted in some time in the summer of 2010.

What kind of lift did you use?
        Did you get rid of all the axle blocks?
        How much lift did you get from springs?
        Did you make new spring perches to gain some lift?
        What size tires are you running?
        Pix would be great.
        Thanks,
        jo

Comment

I've used a 2" body lift on several 70's & 80's Dodges. And they're kinda a pain in the butt for the above mentioned reasons. But I managed!

No way would I consider a 3" body lift. Just puts things too far outta place in my opinion.

Suspension lifts are better, but have their own issues to overcome. The shorter the wheelbase the more headaches you'll have.

Skyjacker seems to have the greatest offerings for the 72-93 Dodges, but I have not used them personally.

Bucky

Comment

I am currently in afghanistan, so I won't have pics of it with the lift on it until march/april when I am on post deployment leave.

I bought a 77 m880(w200) with 35k original miles for $900. Had my dad look over the whole truck before I bought it. He was a mechanic for about 25 years. He was always into restoring old cars/trucks. So He told me it was a amazing steal.

has just a 318 with a 727 TL tranny.(plan on upgrading once I get out of the Army in 2011) prolly go with a 440. Or if im feeling up for it, a cummins.

I bought a tuff country 6 inch all spring lift. not installed yet, I will do it when I get home.

2 1/2 inch flowmasters are getting put on in the next couple days.

going to run 37's. I have been looking at the swamper tsl/sx's. My buddy just bought a set and going to get some feedback from him before I make the plunge. gears are 4.09's stock, within the near future, I want to find some 4.58's to get better gas milage. hopefully before I make the drive from WA to AK

it has a hoist on the back with a custom bed the military made back in the day, not sure if I want to keep the bed as is, and just get a net. or find a whole new bed. the hoist is rated at 6,000lbs. can raise an objext 8 ft in the air and rotate a full 360 degrees. and none of the cables are frayed at all.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i6...047/rodge4.jpg
            truck

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i6...047/rodge2.jpg
            hoist

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i6...047/rodge3.jpg
            interior

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i6...047/rodge1.jpg
            side shot.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i61/ak20047/dodge.jpg
            only cosmetic flaw.

I am going to slightly tint the windows aswell, and get rid of the ugly side views. and maybe some 10" wide steps.

Comment

Thanks for serving rodge.
              Nice deal on that rig, it looks like it will be a fun build.
              I have some prints for spring perches that give 4” additional lift over stock. I haven’t used them yet; they were given to me from a person in a local 4X4 club that I belong to. If you are interested in them I could take the prints to a copy shop and have them scanned so I can get them to you.

Comment

I have never used anything but stock. I just looked into them. Looks awesome! would be cool if you put them up here! thanks jo!

Comment

Theres a RamCharger forum that has threads on new spring perches that solve several problems while providing lift.
                  1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
                  1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
                  1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
                  2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Originally posted by QuantumJo View Post
                    I have some prints for spring perches that give 4” additional lift over stock.
                    Doh! °{° not perches... spring hangers. They mount to the frame.

Comment

Working...
                    X