Need Help with buying a rebuilt 360ci

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help with buying a rebuilt 360ci

Well i would like to purchase a rebuilt 360. i currently have a 318 in it now. i was wondering if some external parts were interchangeable? Like Valve covers, water pump, Intake manifold. ect. here is the rebuilt engine i would like to purchase,
    http://shop.dodge-auto-and-parts.com...p_360lb_1.html
    The truck orginally game with the 360 but somewhere down the line it was swaped for a 318. Thanks
    Nick

A lot of external parts will interchange between the two. Here are some that will not...
    Oil pan
    Harmonic balancer and flywheel or flex plate -- they will bolt on but do not work properly because the 318 is internally balanced and the 360 is externally balanced.
    Factory 2 BBL intake manifold -- 318 carb base is smaller than 360

Parts that will interchange...
    Aftermarket 4 BBL intakes -- most if not all are made to work on both
    Aftermarket exhaust headers -- again, most if not all are made to work on both
    Water pump
    Distributor
    Valve covers
    Starter
    All front of engine accessories and brackets
    Motor mount rubber isolators are the same, steel motor mount brackets differ slightly
    I'm sure I've forgotten some but this should be a good start.

Comment

Factory manifolds won't work very effectively as the port sizes are a lot bigger on the 360. I tried to put 360 exhaust manifolds on my 318 in the Trailduster and found there would be less than 1/8" of gasket surface.

Comment

Originally posted by Trailmaster View Post
        Factory manifolds won't work very effectively as the port sizes are a lot bigger on the 360. I tried to put 360 exhaust manifolds on my 318 in the Trailduster and found there would be less than 1/8" of gasket surface.
        318 and 360 exhaust maniolds ARE the same

Comment

I'm not trying to start an argument here, and maybe the year difference has something to do with it. I tried to take a brand new looking exhaust from a 73 truck with a 360 in the boneyard this summer and put it on my 74 Trailduster with a 318. First problem was the head pipe was too large in diameter to fit my manifolds, so I went back an got the manifolds from the 360, got them home and found that while the bolt pattern was the same the port size on the 360 was so large as to only allow about 1/8" of sealing area around the ports. Maybe 1/8" is enough to seal, but I didn't want to risk an exhaust leak so I fixed my old exhaust and saved the other exhaust in case I ever swap a 360 into the truck.

Comment

Working...
          X