chrysler 440

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chrysler 440

ok, So I got a Chrysler 440, np 205 still married to a 727. and dana front and rear 60's. all ready to roll for 700$. I am wondering about the engine though.

It has the AFB Carter already on it, and I am almost posative it has cast aluminum intake manifold. My Father hasn't had the time to clean it up quiet yet, still waiting on a engine stand. I was just wondering(hoping) it is the 440 from 71'. Could anyone enlighten me on the subject? I was just wondering if there was more info on them besides allpar.com.

thanks

www.440source.com

bucky

Comment

thanks man!

Comment

whats so great about 1971

any 1972 and under FORGED crank 440 is good

its the 1973 and up CAST motors that are marginal for anything horse power wise over 400 horses

if you wanna get picky about years then the 1967 440 HP is the best / not withstanding the 1970 440 six pack motors

l,d like to know who told you that you needed a 1971 motor

Comment

Just wondering what the problem with the 73 and up motors i have a d-100 with a 75 block .055 over dynoed at 620 hp and no worries ? or are you talking about just the factory setup internals wise just wondering.

Comment

it's pretty well been proven that the cast crank in the 440s is good to 600 hp how much more does one need for a truck? pwdave

Comment

It has a forged crank and all the other goods. You need that much power when your trying to send a 4000 pound plus truck down the quarter mile in 11 sec just on the motor :) and still be streetable. I just have heard all that about you need a 67 hp motor to do anything but fact be known i and my famliy have done a lot of racin with just about every year big block motor we can find and the 73 up motor has a thicker cylinder wall after boring out on average than a 70 an older one plus better webing in the bottom end. Not tryin to step on any toes but i just hate to hear people say you need to have a 70 or older motor to bulid anything worth a darn 440 source has also done a article on this but anyways sorry so long but had to add my two pennies.

Comment

Greed, I now see clearly, you are in fact correct on all points. I saw a study on rb blocks and there wasn't any difference in the weight of the blocks from 66 to 78, which means it's all a myth on that thin block stuff. and I see why you need a forged crank, I would want one too. I "assumed" that you had a street truck. my mistake! I can see no difference in blocks, I have a 70 440 six-pack block in my car and several later blocks in the shop. I've had them side by side and there is no difference that I can distern between them. I also once reweighted a cast crank and put it in a Hemi, side step the clutch at 6000 rpm's, leave wheels up w/ an all steel 64 plymouth tudor sedan. no bottom end troubles, ever!! try that with a 454, ha-ha Dave

Comment

Working...
                X