440 Flywheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 440 Flywheel

Trying to find a flywheel for my 440. i am wanting to do a 4 speed swap into 1978 W150 i have everything i need to do the swap but a flywheel. Everything i have been able to find is for a car or the balance is wrong. Thanks for any help Will

Flywheel

The flywheel you want has a very wide interchange. 1967-'79 318, 383, 400, and 440 all use the same flywheel. Post '79 318 flywheels may be the same, but I cannot positively confirm that. Hope this helps you.

Comment

You want the 143 tooth flywheel. Does your 440 have the forged crank (internal balance)? These are they easiest to find, new or used.

Bucky

Comment

http://www.kajunjon.com/flywheel_clutchkits.htm

Here's a link to a place that has new internally balanced 143tooth flywheels. Once bought one here myself.

PAW catalog carries McLeod flywheels as well.

Bucky

Comment

No its not internal balanced. Thats the problem i have been having finding a flywheel. I am not much of a person guy but i am learning. From what i understand the 360 is externally balanced like my 440 so would a 143 tooth flywheel from a 360 fit?

Comment

Originally posted by wkosonen View Post
            No its not internal balanced. Thats the problem i have been having finding a flywheel. I am not much of a person guy but i am learning. From what i understand the 360 is externally balanced like my 440 so would a 143 tooth flywheel from a 360 fit?
            Unfortunately 360's are kinda in their own world when it comes to balanced cranks. While the flywheel will physically fit, it will likely cause major vibrations.

If there is a engine machine shop there, you might be better off taking you engine and whatever 143 tooth flywheel you can find and have them balance the whole assembly.

Bucky

Comment

The 318 flywheels are incredibly easy to find in salvage yards or parts stores, and are the same flywheel you need for the 440.

Comment

i already have one but its internally balanced my 440 is exturnaly balanced. trying not to do any major parts changes.

Comment

I would take a gander at www.car-part.com and see if any of the salvage yards have them in stock. I looked for my area and there are several listed for under $100. Make sure to have it magnafluxed!

Comment

Just spent a hour on the phone calling around trying to find a place to get a flywheel. Ended up finding a place about two hours from here that will rebalance my whole rotating assemblies for about $250.00. thanks for the help will get some pics once my rig is done.

Comment

Working...
                    X