M880 how to clean gas tank sludge??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M880 how to clean gas tank sludge??

Had to pull the gas tank due to clog. Fuel pick up was gone and covered in sticky sludge. The bottom of the tank has about 1/4 inch of semi-hard varnish looking sluge after I had it sitting 15 years, yes bad me but how to clean?

I have it soaking with a few gallons of lacker thinner but nothing is desolving. I have a gallon of Marine-Clean comming but I am not sure if that will work.

Any ideas how to clean this plastic tank? I doubt the radator shop can boil plastic to clean and I have not found any NOS tanks for sale.

Any help would be great. Thanks Harry
    Last edited by Gordon Maney; 07-05-2010, 05:23 PM.

I used solvent for my parts washer to clean out two motorcycle tanks recently. They had been sitting for four years and the gas had turned to motor oil then this black crap started coming out. Tractor supply has a two different size cans the gallon is about $20 and they have a five gallon can for about $60. Great stuff. Pour it in and let it soak. You may have to get in there with a scraper to get it to soak underneath the build up.

Comment

I used a product from POR 15 called marine clean, My tank was just as you described, and I diluted the marine clean 1:1 with HOT water and it broke up the sluge instantly. It's about $20.00 a gallon from por15.com. I only used about a quart total.

Comment

Nowdays, with ethanol, you can just fill up a couple times and all that junk will disolve and migrate into screens, filters, jets and other important orafices...
        1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
        1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
        1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
        2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Working...
        X