Trailer towing capacity for W200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailer towing capacity for W200

Hi, i am Kurt from the Netherlands and new to this forum.
    Excuse me for my english not being perfect....

I own 2 dodge w200's. Actually former M886's from the us army stationed in Germany, our neighbour country. Many M880's and variants were sold and went to the netherlands. All these Dodge's are titled as W200, the civilian model.

I use one of my dodge's to tow a trailer with the other on it, to go offroading.
    This works out great. The problem is, that by law the towing capacity should be mentioned on the cars title. Which is not the case.

The towing capacity can be put on the title if I can get a certificate from the dutch dodge importer that states the maximum towing capacity of the vehicle. However, the W200 was never officially imported in the Netherlands, so the dutch importer does not have the data of this model.

So my question is:
    Is there any way to get some sort of certificate or official paper from dodge usa with the maximum towing capacity on it?
    I have no idea where to ask? Maybe the Dodge Customer center?

Also can anyone tell me what the towing capacity should be? Maybe from an old sales brochure, or owners manual?

The weight of my trailer plus car is about 6600 lbs.

Let's see if I can put a picture of my combination here;

Oh, forgot to mention it is a 1976 model.

Comment

Welcome to the Forum!
      I have to say that your English is a lot better than our Dutch...= )

I will need to dig into my books to find out, but it should be around 8500 lbs.

Comment

Thanks!

I found out that there is an archive of Chrysler at Chryslerheritage.com where they keep all the old data.
        So I hope I can get a document from them with the vehicles weight ratings on it.

I also read somewhere that GTWR Gross Trailer Weight Rating depends on the type of towing package the vehicle has.
        So maybe there's a difference in light and heavy duty towing package?

Was a towing package as an option mounted at the factory or where they always mounted later by the dealer?

What does a towing package consist of? Heavier rear springs and better cooling?

Comment

I have an owner's manual for 1979 model year Dodge light duty trucks (100-300 series). A M880 or M886 is essentially a W200, as mentioned above.

Under trailor towing capacity is simply states that the total trailer weight (trailer+cargo) should not exceed aproximately 75% of the total loaded weight of the towing truck (truck+passengers+cargo). Also mentions if tongue weight exceeds 200lbs a leveler hitch is to be used and trailors over 1200lbs need trailer brakes. Plus more info on GVW,GVWR,GAWR.

Maybe this conservative approach has to do with what's allowed within the warranty. Also maybe just bumper pull trailers. I personally know people who use 6000lb trucks to haul 16000lbs of hay on 40ft gosenecks.

Bucky

Comment

That is true, the capacity doesn't have much to do with real towing capacity and is set by the factory. However I think they use a calculation based upon the worst case scenario and no trailer brakes as well.
            To answer the question, there are class I, class II, class II and class IV type hitches in the states that governed these trucks of that year.
            Towing ratings now go even higher, such as my Cummins powered Ram with 23,600 lbs rating.
            I still have not found the rating book...= (

A General idea in the states is, Class II receiver hitch at 350 lbs Tongue weight, 3500 total trailer.
            Class III 500 lbs tongue, 5,000 total trailer.
            Class IV 1200 lbs tongue, 12,000 total trailer.
            Class IV with weight distribution hitch, 1500 and 15,000.

All of that means nothing to the local law enforcement jurisdiction unless the manufacturer approves those weights.
            I will keep looking.

Comment

Thank you for that information!

Over here in the Netherlands the maximum trailer weight of a trailer is 3500 Kilogram (about 7700lbs) on a ball hitch. Any thing heavier should be pulled on a pin hitch. Don't know how to say that in english, but it looks a bit like what you guys call a pintle hook.
              My trailer hitch has to be mounted to the chassis. Bumper ball hitches are only allowed up to 750kg/1653lbs trailer weight. Trailers above that weight must also have brakes.

Trailers in europe are a bit different constructed as yours. We don't have such heavy tonque weights like you. Most european cars simply can not handle that weight on their rear axle. Your twin axle trailers have the axles set back more to the rear of the trailer. European twin axle trailers have their axles about in the middle of the trailer. Like you see in my picture above. Typical european midsize passenger cars have a maximum of 50Kg / 110lbs tonque weight. When I load my Dodge on the trailer I balance the weight to achieve around 100kg/220lbs tonque weight.

MoparNorm, thanks for looking. I hope you will find your book.

Comment

I have a data sheet on the M880 at home. When I get a chance I'll scan it for you.

Comment

Dodge M880 Specifications

Because of the number and size of the files I put them on Photobucket. This should help you out.

http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/v...0M880%20SPECS/

Comment

Thanks Old Dodge. That's a lot of usefull information.
                    However the military specs say max towing 3000 lbs. I guess the M880 was never intent to pull heavy loads in the army. Only those small single axle military trailers I think. To keep things on the safe side.

I also got some data from Chrysler Heritage. They say in general the trailer weight should not exceed aproximately 75% of the truck's GVW.
                    So in my case the W200's GVW is 8000 lbs, which means 6000 lbs trailer weight.
                    They also say that if the truck has the trailer towing package YC3 the maximum trailer weight is 7000 lbs.
                    So that would just exceed my target of 6600 lbs.

Has anyone heard of this trailer towing package YC3?
                    And what does it mean this towing package?

Comment

YC3 = Trailer Towing Package - Heavy Duty
                      Same as Trailer Towing Package except includes heavy duty front & rear shocks. Requires GVW Code YW3 (8000#).

YC4 = Trailer Towing Package
                      Includes 52 amp alternator, 70 amp hour battery(standard on 440-1 engines), increased cooling,
                      heavy duty variable load flasher and wiring harness

Comment

Thanks again!
                        Seems like I already have most of the things of a towing package fitted to my truck. Except for the HD flasher. But I can live with that. Hahaha.

Comment

Working...
                        X