No announcement yet.

Choosing a 1972 to 1993 Dodge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nobody has mentioned the vacuum assist front axle. Wasn't that the late 80's early 90's? Does ANYBODY have anything good to say about that setup???

I thought Dodge quit making trucks after 1993?
    1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
    1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
    1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
    2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Originally posted by KRB64 View Post
      Nobody has mentioned the vacuum assist front axle. Wasn't that the late 80's early 90's? Does ANYBODY have anything good to say about that setup???

I don't like it.
      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

vacuum assist good

I have heard that the vacuum assist was good,..... good at failing when you needed it most. Somehow my 89 Ramcharger avoided the vacuum assist. transfer case lever and lockout hubs. I wonder if the fire dept ordered it that way.

Comment

No problems [yet] with my '92 W250 front axle. I think Dodge made trucks
          after '93..... but they quit trying to sell them in November of 2008.

John

Comment

Install the cable actuator kit (about $160) to solve the frequent failure of the vacuum system. As an added plus you will gain 2wd low range capability, not that there's often much need of that.

bucky

Comment

Originally posted by 712edf View Post
              New Process 205: a divorced-case gear driven monster deemed bulletproof and the strongest t-case possibly offered in a 1-ton or less truck. Also offered in a married version from 81-93 in the 1-tons and possibly certain 3/4 tons. Divorced versions allow easy changing out of engine/transmission combinations. You can put virtually any make of motor/transmission in front of it, as long as it rotates the correct direction. I agree drivetrain wise the 74 was the pinnacle for an old school gasoline powered 4x4.

Bucky
              As I own a 74 W200, I have found in my research it is the most in demand motor of most Mopar nutz, It seems that they put the 340 High Perfromance heads on the 74 SB 360 motor and did this only in 74.

I have had several offers due to this reason. But have stuck to my guns that I want to keep this rust bucket "DOG" and restore it to a useful truck for my family to enjoy. I even had one of the local truck pullers ask me to sell them my truck. And the above reason is what he stated, the fact of the motor if it was orginal (which I found it is) is the main reason why they were interested.

As stated, the wire setup in these early year trucks were prone to issues that they later replaced. And finding some of these terminal clips and other things is not easy. I did find that it seems that GM might had made a good part of the harness as none of the Chrysler terminal ends match, but have been able to find an abundance of them threw GM that are a perfict match. There are a few of the plastic clips that are just not out there any more due to Chryslers pat on them and are no longer in production, so no one is able to remake (so no after market avail or OEM).

This is one of the biggest issues companys like Painless is finding as they are trying to make an exact OEM wire harness for these trucks. There is a package that you can get that has some converted plastic clips that will help you match their Chrysler harness (mostly GM setup) to these trucks. But by far is one of the best replacement harnesses that I have found out there.

Body parts are interchangeable 73-93, but as stated body lines will not match if you mix and match. I did see an 92 with a newer 90's model front grill. I am sure the owner did some heavy mods to get it to work correctly as it had the composit lights like on the newer 96 and up. So the limit is where you would like to place it. But they are sure fun to toy around with.

Comment

Install the cable actuator kit (about $160) to solve the frequent failure of the vacuum system. As an added plus you will gain 2wd low range capability, not that there's often much need of that.

bucky
                Who sells the kit?

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
                  Who sells the kit?
                  Here's a link.

http://www.4x4posi-lok.com/

I have never had a CAD axle nor done this.

bucky

Comment

My 2 cents.I really think the '72-'75's are the best.I would almost bet that Dodge changed the sheet metal spec after '75 as here in the rust belt there seems to be more solid older trucks than the newer.Less smog crap on the older engines.The early 360's mentioned above were "J" head engines from 72-74.either 1.94 or 2.02 intakes(can't remember) but non hardened seats.They can also be adapted to the newer improved components(Dana 60 fronts and so forth).Most wireing issues can be helped by gounding everything well.Engine to frame,cab to engine,brainbox,voltage regulaor and starter relay to body.U joints and yolks need to be upgraded as they fail and they will.The best thing they can be bought way cheaper than a less well equipped ford or chevy.

Comment

I myself wouldn't want a stock Dodge made after 1978 or so. The ONLY exception is the 89-93 Cummins. They have very little electronics and most of that can be removed to where they are almost as simple and basic as a 70's or earlier. Solid front axle with lock out hubs.

Having said that, someday I'd like to have an '80s crew cab with the Cummins...

Always an exception to my rule :)
                      2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

I myself wouldn't want a stock Dodge made after 1978 or so. The ONLY exception is the 89-93 Cummins. They have very little electronics and most of that can be removed to where they are almost as simple and basic as a 70's or earlier. Solid front axle with lock out hubs.

Having said that, someday I'd like to have an '80s crew cab with the Cummins...

Always an exception to my rule :)
                        I agree. Things just got more confusing under the hood after about 79. The 81-later bed is too boxey for my liking, and I hate that 81-85 eggcrate grill. The grills got a little better in 86, then more so in 91, but the post 1980 interior & instrumentation altogether was in my opinion very unattractive.

Bucky

Comment

I agree. Things just got more confusing under the hood after about 79. The 81-later bed is too boxey for my liking, and I hate that 81-85 eggcrate grill. The grills got a little better in 86, then more so in 91, but the post 1980 interior & instrumentation altogether was in my opinion very unattractive.

Bucky

We need some pictures of these features....

Comment

Posts indicate sheet metal will interchange, even if body lines won't line up.

If putting a Cummins in an earlier 3/4 or 1 ton truck, are the frames the same, will crossmembers, if necessary, interchange?

Comment

I've not done it yet, but from what I understand, the 6BT is a direct drop in.

And again, I've not checked, but appearantly in the early 90's the frame did change to help accomodate the extra weight & torque of the Cummins. I think amidships. This is just stuff I've gleaned off other forums like DTR.

Some correct or add if you have experience.
                              2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

72-74 w100 related question

I am trying to relive my youth my father had a 74 w100 short bed I have not been able to find one. I have how ever found a 72 w100 short bed that looks promising.

Are the grills the only difference and are they interchangeable? I am new to this stuff so I am sorry if I am asking a sort of silly question.

I can not tell a difference in the body lines between the two. what are the differences besides the grill?

Comment

Working...
                                X