Dumb 4X4 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb 4X4 question

I'm hoping to take the 2009 "Dumbest question of the Year" with this one. I've been driving Suburbans for the last 10-12 years. They all have had a button you push for 4 wheel drive. Now I have a 76 W200 with a gear stick on the floor and locking hubs. I'm sure an owners manual would clear this up. What is the procedure for going into and then back out of 4 wheel drive? I guess I'm looking for the sequence of events here.
    Thanks for your help
    David

1. Transmission in Park, Parking brake applied.

2. Turn both hubs to "LOCK".

3. Transmission in Neutral, release parking brake. Truck should be free to roll but of course make sure you're foot is ready on the service brake.

4. Shift transfer case lever into any selected range you want.

5. Transmission in Drive. Drive it away.

To take it out of 4WD, do step #3 first, then #4, then #1 and then you can get out and unlock the hubs.

Basically you don't want to operate the transfer case between HI and HI LOCK and/or LO and LO LOCK without the hubs locked. This will prevent any unwanted grinding. If you're shifting from HI to LO you need to shift pass NEUTRAL (on the transfer case) in a smooth motion or you'll grind a little. It takes some getting used to but I'll take a little grind in the stick and a positive feeling of shifting the transfer case to the little push button that operates a plastic actuator that maybe, if it feels like, goes into 4WD.

Comment

Thanks for help. It's supposed to snow and/or freezing rain and Bud is our new snow/ice ride.
      David

Comment

A 76 would not have come from the factory with locking hubs, but drive flanges & full time FWD.

bucky

Comment

May have to back up a little to get out of 4X4, takes the pressure off.
          1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
          1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
          1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
          2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

I was wondering about the back up move. One of the earlier Suburbans I had required backing up to unlock the hubs. With the manual locking hubs I would think that is not necessary. So does backing up take the load off the hubs or the transfer case?
            David

Comment

That's funny that came up. My old Suburban had automatic hubs that required you to back up some to fully unlock them. On the flip side my 880 (no locking hubs) will stay locked until I drive it a short ways maybe a block or so but will unlock immediately if I back up 10 or 15 feet. Is it a clutch or something in the transfer case? Anyone know for sure?

Comment

Unless you're on ice, slick mud or suspended in air, the whole driveline system is potentially in a bind since some tires may have spun/gripped more than others.

Thus, whether unlocking hubs, shifting the transfer or anything that uncouples the system, it may be meshed together too tight.

So if you back up a little, it helps it unwind. Or if you do manage to force the shifter out and drive, it will let go when the stress is gone.

For me, its just a habit now to back up or roll before unlocking things.
                1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
                1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
                1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
                2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Good information!

Comment

Working...
                  X