Ammeter? Timing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ammeter? Timing?

Is there any good reason to keep the ammeter configuration? I'm rewiring most of the truck anyway and I think I'd like to do away with the whole ammeter path.
    What is a good place to start with ignition timing? It's a 76 W200 w/360. No emmisions equipment with stock components
    David

It is very common to do away with the factory ammeter in these trucks, as it is a potential spot for melting of the harness and even a fire. So me just by-pass it by placing both wires on a single posts, others switch to a voltmeter.

Ask10 different people that same ignition timing question and you'll get 10 different answers, each are not necessarily wrong. Altitude, fuel, carb type,engine mileage and about any other variable you can imagine will seem to affect the proper ignition timing for an engine. No 2 engines are abolutely identical in certain respects, so what is perfect for one stock 76 360 may be a little off for another 76 360. A ball park place to start is 2 degrees BTDC static timing, then work your way up higher.

bucky

Comment

Thanks for the reply Bucky. The ammeter goes!
      David

Comment

Most ammeters are only rated for 60 amps. If your installing a bigger alternator while re-wiring, then it absolutely must go, otherwise you'll guarantee an electrical fire shortly after the first startup. The volt meter is far safer, and often a better indicator of the health of the electrical system IMO...

Comment

This is handy:
          http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...p-gauges.shtml
          1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
          1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
          1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
          2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Sorry but I just can't resist. Sure is good to see there are people who know it is an ammeter, not an amp meter.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Williams View Post
              Sorry but I just can't resist. Sure is good to see there are people who know it is an ammeter, not an amp meter.
              I always capitalize the "O" in Ohm's as well. Not sure if correct or necessary though, but figured it was somebody's name.

Bucky

Comment

Georg Ohm. He used to be a good buddy of mine until he tried to burn my rig to the ground with his high resistance, high temperature antics. Keep an eye out for him. He's a wiley one.

Comment

Handy link there. I am pondering an acceptable method of eliminating the bulkhead connector as well. I'm think a wiring bundle passing through with a good grommet and seal. Every connection on this truck is a problem and with few electrical devices it makes sense to just replace it all.

Comment

If you're looking to replace the bulkhead connectors entirely without running the wiring through a hole you might try a different style setup. At the job we use PBTR-24002 bulkheads for the electrical boxes on our fueling trucks. They're 7 or 10 circuit connectors, can handle up to 10 gauge wires and are completely waterproof. We buy them from an aviation supplier; I don't know where you'd be able to get them other than online.

Comment

I'll look into those connectors. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X