No announcement yet.

crew cab: converting a D350 to a W350?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crew cab: converting a D350 to a W350?

I've found a decent 1985 D350 locally but it is two wheel drive. Nice (by pictures) with the 360/727 and Prospector package.

How "simple" is the conversion? Are the frames the same, ie rivet holes for spring hangers already located? And ditto for the crossmember?

I have access to several old M880s. Was thinking of making the swap to full time.

Also have access to a mid '70s crew cab W250 thats all rusted out. If the frame is still good will an 80's body drop on it and bolt up? (I've located an 81 D200 crew cab too thats cheaper but not as nice but does have the 4-speed).

Ultimately would like to swap in a Cummins and newer axles maybe.

I know this has been discussed many times over but my dad holds the magazine subscription so he gets the search feature (and I see no reason not to share the PWA) - but anyway, that why I can't "search" so I'm asking you guys.
    1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
    1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
    1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
    2005 Jeep KJ CRD

I once bought an 85 D350 crew-cab long bed in hopes of converting to 4wd. But it just didn't pan out for me. Was a money thang!

The rears are basically the same except the W has lifting blocks. The front is more tricky, as you have to fab a place for the spring shackles to attach to the frame. If you have access to the proper tools and have enough donor trucks to scap parts from, I'm sure the conversion is possible.

Putting an 80's body on a 70's frame ain't too big of a deal, but little things like wiring/plumbing can be tedious.

Bucky

Comment

http://www.powerwagonadvertiser.com/...ght=conversion

Here's a similar discussion!

Comment

Originally posted by 712edf View Post
        Many thanks. Thats what I was looking for. Sounds like I ought to maybe pass on these. I think I have the skill and desire. Just not the time nor money...

BTW, I was just in Wichita Falls last month.
        1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
        1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
        1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
        2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Working...
        X