Wiper and cowl area questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiper and cowl area questions

Bud's wipers are slow, really slow with the fast setting almost enough for normal rain. I took the cowl cover off and found the arm bushings pretty worn and I plan to replace them if I can get the parts. It does not appear at first glance that the wiper transmission is servicable. Anyone know? The motor/trans case is well grounded and the termianls feeding are now clean. High resistance on the switch? Worn motor?

Now about that cowl area. I pulled a small farm out of there, moss, trees, and other bio-parasites. What is the structure of that area? Does it have drain holes? Any other items that might require a look at? I'm going to have to clean, treat, and finish that area somehow and I'm looking for ideas. It's going to be a drag to get to but I can't let it continue to rot.
    I noticed some seams that are just inboard of the bottom curve of the windshield that have a gaping thing going on. Possible leak area?
    David

6-7 yrs ago I replaced the wiper motor on a 78 ramcharger. Costs about $45 from autozone. Bushings are out there too.

Use every tool in the shed to clean out that cowl area, compressed air,shop vac. Aerosol can for priming.

Bucky

Comment

It's about an 8 inch deep cavity that runs across the front for fresh air that drops down each side behind the fenders to your fresh air vents remove the vent covers and you can pull hand fulls of leaves out of the drivers side and the passengers it will collect in the heater as well. Then Eastwood products www.eastwood.com has a spray wax for door interiors and such it is self healing and great for weatherizing. I used it on mine I'll look for some pics and show you or look at the pice in my 77 rescue thread it shows the deep pockets that the windfall collects in.

Comment

The rounded peice closest to the camera position located in the photo between the door hinges and the heater motor. that is directly connected to the wiper motor/fresh air tray

In this one you can see the opening at the bottom of the duct mine was full of decaying organic matter. I scooped most of it out then I just used the air dart (blower) on the compressor and blew it all out it took awhile as it mostly relocates it back up top. Then I coated it with the wax I told you about at Eastwood. I sprayed it on thick at the seams and used the air dart to force it into the nooks and crannys.

Comment

Take one of the plastic arm bushings with you. They're in the Motormite/Help section. Maybe $2-3 pair. The motor's definitely shot. A bad ground on the wiper motor will cause it to either work or not. A slow motor needs to be replaced.

Comment

I've found the bushings at Advance Auto in the HELP section. They come in a mixed package assortment so you end up with ones you will probably never use.

Comment

The photos are a great help. Are the only drain holes on the bottom of the sides that feed the vent? I want to make sure to not clog any drains. I bought a new wiper motor assembly and bushings. Where is the blower motor resistor? The Autozone web page shows it as the switch in the heater control panel in the dash. Is this correct or is there a resistor mounted elsewhere? Only have high speed and I figure that is the resistor.
              Thanks for your help!
              David

Comment

Don,

Just an FYI... I just purchased the replacement bushings at Kragen Auto Parts for $2.29 a pack (you will need 2 packs). The part number for HELP! is 49440. Its the right bushings and not the assortment from AutoZone.

Hopes this helps anyone else.

Sc

Comment

Installed a new motor with new bushings and all is working well, although the drivers pivot runs the wiper past the windshield and into the A pillar. I tried a different bend on the arm and that did not help. It's as though the pivot linkage is just plain moving it too far. Not sure waht the cure might be. Seems like the only cure would be a shorter shaft on the wiper motor spindle. Autozone only carries the assortment of bushings so I now have a bunch I'll never use.

Comment

Working...
                  X