Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Painting my M880 and have a few questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting my M880 and have a few questions...

I have one gallon of Valspar industrial enamel paint. The directions say nothing about adding hardener to it, should I add some anyway? If I do not add anything to the paint, will it be enough to paint the truck? I will not be painting the inside of the bed. Everything I read online says one gallon will be enough, your thoughts? This is a work truck and I'll paint it myself, so it's not going to be perfect.
    Thanks for the help!
    Craig

I think 1 gallon would be enough. Keep in mind that industrial paints are not automotive paints. They were never meant to appear as good as car paint & in some instances are a maintenance paint, meaning regular repaints are expected. As with any paint, surface prep is the key to longitivity and initial appearance. If Valspar has a website, you might check there to see the specifics on the product you are using.

Bucky

Comment

paint

Im not sure on the hardener with the paint you have, but one gallon should be enough. I am almost done with my 74 Crew Cab W-200 and I will have 2 gallons of basecoat on it, but I took it down to the frame and painted everything inside and out including the backs of the fenders, wheel wells and all. Good Luck

Comment

Valspar makes an enamel hardener. I buy it at Tractor Supply in 1/2 pint size cans. I won't ever paint enamel again without the hardener. What a major difference. If for no other reason use it to speed drying time.

Are you spraying, bushing, or rolling the paint on? I roll mine due to not having a place to spray. Do a search for $50 paint job and you will find a lot of good information on painting autos with this type of paint.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. I planned on spraying it, but maybe I'll change my mind. We have a TS and other farm stores around, so I'll check out the hardeners that they sell.
          Craig

Comment

Thanks for the info on the $50 paint job. Being this is my beater work truck, I'm going to do it that way. Should I still add the hardener even though I would cut the paint down with mineral spirits? I doubt if I'm going to be sanding between coats...much anyway, due to lack of time and the type of vehicle it is.
            Your thoughts...
            Craig

Comment

Don, I forgot to ask, how does your paint jobs turn out using the roller method?

Comment

I'd ask about using naptha in place of mineral spirits.

Naptha evaporates much quicker!

bucky

Comment

You don't have to use the hardner is you don't want to, But it will make the finish more fade resistant ( last longer ) and allow you to sand it down in a shorter time frame to re-do it if you mess it up to the point you can't live with it....

I have used this stuff with a " smooth " finish roller with good results and have sprayed many of gallons of it with sucess. If you use a roller use a QUALITY one, so you don't leave a bunch of fuzzy stuff in the paint.

Comment

Use the hardener, you'll be glad you did. As stated above, it makes the paint last longer and dry much faster. As far as using the roller method goes I'd spray it given the choice. The roller method is a lot more work but done properly people won't believe you when you tell them you did it with a roller.

Comment

Working...
                    X