Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '77 dana 44 FT4WD poping noise.

Hi guys,

I am getting a poping noise from my right front area, It sounds and feels just like a part time 4WD would with the front hubs locked in on dry pavment.

It only happens when the wheels are turned over half way ( left or right ) and it will happen in forward or reverse, but it does not happen all the time.

today It popped so hard that I thought I hit something while backing up.

Any Ideas on what could cause this ?

Axle universal joints, assuming you are NOT in 4wd. Or I have heard of wheel bearings & seperated brake pads making racket during turns.

Bucky

Comment

Originally posted by 712edf View Post
      Axle universal joints, assuming you are NOT in 4wd. Or I have heard of wheel bearings & seperated brake pads making racket during turns.

Bucky
      Yea, you need to get that wheel off and start looking at the u-joint or bearings or disc.
      1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
      1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
      1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
      2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

got the unit jacked up today, axle universal joint and ball joints are good with no play, I can not feel any in or out movement in the wheel bearings and they do not make any noise when rotating the wheel, The caliper moves on the sliders but for some reason I do not think it is as freely as it should be.
        Now I am wondering that if I have air in the brake lines, would it cause the caliper not to release ?

All joints and wheel bearings along with brake pads have less than 6k miles on them.

The only other thing I found is that there was less air pressure on the opposite tire, ( about 10 lbs ) but I am not sure if this would have any effect on the full time 4WD axle.

any thoughts ?

The good news is after prodding around in there I could not get the condition to repeat, But I don't know why...

Comment

Sounds like maybe something was loose or bound up and your poking around "fixed" it?

A sticking caliper will let itself be known with heat and a pulling to that side.
          1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
          1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
          1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
          2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

dana 44 popping noise

Are you sure the transfer case lever is in HI, not in the HI LOC position?

Comment

Yes, because I can't keep it in Hi Loc or Low Loc, It keeps poping out...

Comment

Working...
              X