74-'93 what to look 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 74-'93 what to look 4

Well this should open a whole new can of worms..
    -Most all this info is scattered in the forums, and everyone has their fav yr but in general terms for purchasing a used Dodge of this era what do you specificly look for and why,some will have full tilt shops that can fix anything,some of us are just driveway mechs.with limited tools.
    -But keep it short\simple what do you look at when purchacing these trucks.
    -Post at will....
    -Me- rust, I hate rust, but it can be fixed,but I feel if the truck is badly rotted then deeper inside there must\maybe be worser things..{is worser a word ?} I'm gunna use it anyway.{is gunna a word ?}LOL
    AndyP

being new to the whole power wagon scene i will post about what I look for in any purchase
    1. Price doesn't matter what kind of basket case it is if I think I can part it out and at least nearly break even probably will be worth my time just to learn a few things
    2. The body doesn't so much concern me since my wife the saint she is, is capable at bodywork and usually brings the basket cases home.
    3. Mechanical I would like it to make noise and smoke but not required if there are some desirable parts tucked in there somewhere.
    4. And my favorite, quirkiness how many have you ever seen and is it something different, I once brought home a $150 rx-7 mainly just to explore the whole rotary motor thing.
    5. And finally my favorite I like to call it probable practicality. In the best case scenario can I/we figure out how it would help us out or be fun to cruise, wheel, or even maybe bang down the quarter.
    In closing I guess I/we just love all things mechanical and if we can find a way to afford it then it could be a go course some things like an older jag I should have drug home but the wiring issues scared me off do happen from time to time.

Comment

I know ,I shoulda added, "just 'cause it's COOL because-clause " in there for some of me [us]
      lol
      AndyP

Comment

well when i say I/we it means me and the wife she is as about as good as turning wrenches, a better welder, and way more patient than I am plus she isn't afraid to get her hands dirty she has a 1958 belair she is putting back together as we speak and has done all the body work and most of the mechanical stuff on it and she can cook did I pick a winner or what.

Comment

Originally posted by Daewoo10356 View Post
          well when i say I/we it means me and the wife she is as about as good as turning wrenches, a better welder, and way more patient than I am plus she isn't afraid to get her hands dirty she has a 1958 belair she is putting back together as we speak and has done all the body work and most of the mechanical stuff on it and she can cook did I pick a winner or what.
          Wake up! Wake up! You're dreamin man!
          1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
          1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
          1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
          2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

I look for a dana 60 front w200/300 & 4-speed.

Comment

truck has to be 3/4 or 1 ton, 4 wheel drive, decent body and frame,
              auto trans preferred for snow plowing, I always expect to dump $500 or more in it, ( brakes,rotors, drums,brake hardware,calipers, seals, bearings,brake lines,hoses, thermostat, all fluids, u joints,fuel lines all filters).

Comment

Working...
              X