1990 4wd shifter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990 4wd shifter

I have a 1990 W150 with a 1994 A518/46RH trans and NP241 transfer case. The truck came missing a few parts, one of which was the 4wd shifter and linkage rod. I called a junkyard, which sold me a 4wd shifter from an 88 W250. The shifter mounts on right side of the trans but sits too far forward and hits the front of the trans hump slot. In addition the shift rod is way too short to reach the actuator lever on the NP241. Does anyone know what years 4wd shifter will work? I think the problem is added length for overdrive.

Due to the added length of the 46rh tranny (about 3.5 inches), you will need a shifter and rod out of a gas truck or RC that came with the 46rh. If you can't find the rod, have a machine shop bend one up for you.
    Also, because the shifter out of a 91.5 thru 93 Dodge CTD uses the same 3 bolt pattern (for 46rh/NP205), you may be able to use that. But, those shifters are few and far between due to their limited production run.
    Also...When you installed the 46rh, did you move the tranny crossmember back about 3 inches or so? If not, that may be the problem.

Comment

trans install

As far as installing 46RH, the original trans cross member bolted into the original position. Also the original trans mounts bolted in correctly with the 46RH. As far as the position of the trans, the 5.2L V8 engine is stock and original. The position of the transmission was determined by the position of the back of the engine block. The 46RH bolted up to the back of the block with no issues of any kind. Since the 4wd shifter bolts to the side of the trans and since the engine and trans cross member are in stock position, I have to believe that the 4wd shifter mount is in stock position, unless they changed from the 1990-93 A518 to the 1994-95 46RH.

Comment

Working...
      X