dana 60 ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dana 60 ID

I have a dodge dana 60 front end that has the tapered lockouts, older style with 6 external bolts that look to be in the 5/16 or 3/8 range. Based on that info, can anyone tell me the aprox year of this front end? If not, where would the ID number be stamped on a front axle and where is the web site that would tell me what I have based on that number?

that frontend could be from 1977 all the way to 1988 / my 1985 CREW cab 1 ton has the hubs like you say with the EXternal hubs / they didnt go INternal hubs till the DIESELS in 1989

Comment

Originally posted by tinner12002 View Post
      I have a dodge dana 60 front end that has the tapered lockouts, older style with 6 external bolts that look to be in the 5/16 or 3/8 range. Based on that info, can anyone tell me the aprox year of this front end? If not, where would the ID number be stamped on a front axle and where is the web site that would tell me what I have based on that number?

Comment

Originally posted by DODGEBOYS View Post
        they didnt go INternal hubs till the DIESELS in 1989
        I dont have any books to back this up, but I have seen atleast a few dozen 1989 Dodge Cummins Diesel Pickups with the external hubs/lockouts. My uncle bought a 1989 CTD brand new, and it had the external hubs, so maybe it was a mid-year or early switch over deal?? B/C I have also seen quite a few 1989 CTD trucks that had the internal hubs.

My 1985 Crew-cab, and my 1978 Crew-cab, that I used to own both had this style Dana 60 front end with the external hubs. The 1985 is a W350 ex-air force truck, the 1978 is a W200 ex-forest service (pee green) truck. I parted out a 1977 W200 that had the same front end. I believe that the Dana 60 front end was a option on the HD 3/4-ton's, B/C I have seen the W200's with both the Dana 44 front end and the Dana 60, although the Dana 60 front end in a 3/4-ton seems to be more scarce, in the 3/4-tons.

Comment

I have seen both style hubs on the 60 front in diesel trucks as well, and yes the 60 was available in 3/4 tons. The yellow 79 truck f/s in SE Mass on this site has a 60 front with drive flanges, which is basically the same hub that uses the external style selectable lockout.

72-74 W200 were available with Dana 70 fronts. This was discussed thoroughly here about 2 yrs ago.

Bucky

Comment

I was wanting to rebuild the 60 I have and use it under my 91 club cab. Can I update it to the internal style lockouts or would I have to get different hubs to do that?

Comment

The hubs I believe differ, meaning instead of switching the lockouts you need to switch the entire hub.
              Bucky

Comment

Working...
              X