Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hotter than factory coils...seen any difference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hotter than factory coils...seen any difference?

I've seen some guys on here running hot coils. Have you seen any power advantage to them? Easier starts? Is there anything other than heavier plug wires that you suggest to change out? Just kicking some ideas around for mine.
    Craig

Well mines not running yet but I have a MSD coil and an MSD ignition box.

Comment

Eventually the Dodge will get what my other cars have (or have had) namely being the MSD 6AL system. Easier starts, definitely better mileage by almost 5mpg, not "oooo, I got an extra 2 mpg" no, honest 5 or better. I would recommend running 8mm wires or thicker; I run 8.8 Accel. Definitely Bosch platinum plugs. Regular AC's or Champions will burn out. Bosch and Accel seem to be the only plugs I've found that hold up under the MSD. I was running the Accel header plugs on another car obviously due to the headers interfering with the length of the plugs.

Comment

Hotter coils do help.I run a Jacobs on my D 500 and an Accel on my kids new(?)
        '76 W200,woke up that w200 after about 6-7 years of sitting.Make sure you get one that has even voltage across a broad RPM range.Some Perf coils come on only at higher RPMs.

Comment

I used and liked the Accell Super Coil with the Mopar Electronic ignition in the late 70's, so I went the same route when I built the M. Al lot of people said I should have used the MSD, but I've never had a problem, and starts electronically are great.

Now that Pro-Junction from Holley, that is a different story.
          I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
          Will
          WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
          1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
          1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
          1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
          2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Is it necessary to put in new ignition box and distributor or will the factory units handle the extra voltage?

Comment

Originally posted by The Other Ross View Post
              Hotter coils do help.I run a Jacobs on my D 500 and an Accel on my kids new(?)
              '76 W200,woke up that w200 after about 6-7 years of sitting.Make sure you get one that has even voltage across a broad RPM range.Some Perf coils come on only at higher RPMs.
              Dr. Chris Jacobs actually pioneered a lot of the so called "multiple spark" technologies. Not invented but made them reliable enough for daily drivers. Back in the day I found a Jacobs multiple spark transformer on the lower right inner fender of my brother's '67 Lemans. Sure enough those came as an option on those cars from the factory.

You're absolutely right about the RPM ranges on the coils. The cheaper performance coils with a Jegs or Summit brand name are most likely Chinese knock offs with some extra windings or a chrome case. Jacobs, Accel, MSD are pretty much the only good ones. I've heard bad things about Mallory and Crane coils but since both are owned my Mr. Gasket I wouldn't be surprised if they're the same coils with different stickers on them.

Comment

IC&E Ignition

In talking with my local parts guy he suggested that I opt for a IC&E ignition kit rather than going with an MSD system. Said he had better starting and noticed the difference in gas mileage. Anyone have any experience with this system?

http://www.iceignition.com/

Comment

If the kit that you’re considering includes a distributor that has no vacuum and/or mechanical advance I would stay away unless it is a strip only rig. I was looking at a pro comp kit, after reading a ton of bad press, about 80% negative, I reconsidered and went for a Mallory 42 series distributor, a MSD blaster coil & Taylor ignition wires.

The distributor is special order and will be in later this week. I’ll let you know how I make out with the new ignition setup.

Comment

my ignition sermon

VERTEX MAGNETO!!!

Eliminate ballast resistor, ECU & coil with one motion! Replace distributor with the mag, wire up a 20amp kill toggle switch to ground. You are done!

www.donzig.com

bucky

Comment

MSD 6ALN Ignition Control, Deutsch #6431

Anyone know what the difference ( if any ) is between a MSD Deutsch #6431 and the 6420?

Comment

I believe one has a clear cover. Something to do with a tech inspection for racing. The other doesn't.

Comment

Working...
                        X