Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mounting 80's Crew Cab to 1st Gen Frame...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounting 80's Crew Cab to 1st Gen Frame...

When I do get a Crew Cab, I want to convert it to diesel., So, I began thinking (bad idea i know, lol).

Would it be a better idea to buy a 1st Gen Club Cab Diesel, and then buy a crew cab and shortbed later and mount it on the 1st Gen frame?

I know there are issues with the drop center being different on the Club vs. CC frame. How hard is this to solve? What has been done to overcome this issue? Are there any other issues to look out for?

Thanks for any help,
    Mac

I think it'd be 50/50 which route would serve you better. If you're tooled up for a body swap or for mechanicals could dictate the direction. Why not put the 80s CC on a late model chassis? As long as you're thinking...

Comment

Don't quote me but I don't think a crew cab will be a direct fit on a club cab. I guess I could go out and measure to be sure but I'm thinking (yea, thats a problem) the wheel base is different?

I'd use an 80's cab because the dash and firewall will be the same as the diesel and make conversion a little easier. But you'll lose the full time, unless you were planning on swapping diesel axles too. Plus you can swap in the cowl/grill & have room for the intercooler.

I've not done a conversion yet so these are just my musings...
      1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
      1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
      1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
      2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

I know it won't be a direct fit. Looking through other post on here it sounds as though the wheel bases are the same. It is the area on the frame where the cab sets, as the frame ramps up to where the beds mounts earlier on the Club. I figure the bare minimum is fabricated cab and bed mounts to equalize everything, basically a body lift. I am sure there will be some steering issues with this? Will this work? On Trucks TV show they are mounting a 70's Ford crew cab on a 99 Dodge Diesel frame so, I am sure it will. Has anyone done this? Any pics that anyone knows of. I would like to see how it looks before I proceed.

My plan would be to buy a 92-93 Diesel Club Cab and then a 81-85 crew cab and short bed, or even a complete 2wd Crew. Then I would already have all the diesel components I would need. Then there would be no need to change out or move cross members, change out spring mounts and such...Am I on the right track?

Comment

The drop center for the Crew is longer than the clubcab.I think the only way you could do this is with a body lift.

Comment

Working...
          X