What am I looking at

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What am I looking at

Hey guys, I am in the process of rewiring my '75 w200 (440 camper special club cab w/ AC) and I find myself staring at something which I cannot find in the schematic.

Anyone familiar with what this is?

A red "X"

I think you may have to be a subcriber to posts pictures directly on this site!

Bucky

Comment

Try this again

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41704434@N08/4376930765/

Comment

now I see, still don't know

That is a new one on me, & I have seen dozens & dozens of these old Dodges. Looks like some sort of resistor. Where do the wires go to? Does it have voltage at all times or only when running? Is there resistance between the posts?

Thanks for the pics. That is an unusual item.

Bucky

Comment

thats a new one for me also, like suggested where do the wires go?

Comment

That is the old, 1-slice toaster option.
            Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

It looks like a varistor to me. An old (really old) version that is basically a variable resistor. You move the bar one way or the other to change the resistive value of the varistor. Maybe it is a ballast resistor retrofit?

Comment

Hmmm, I wonder if it had anything to do with any of the 'Camper Special' options. I tend to agree that it's some kind of variable resistor...a very heavy duty one! I'm doubting though that it's factory. The wire chase will probably tell the story. Let us know what you find out, I very curious!
                Craig

Comment

Resistor / end of the world mechanism

Yah, my suspicion is it's a resistor that is associated with a camper or something like that. The base plate is too corroded to read, but the wires seem to disappear under the dashboard and over near the coil. When I get to cutting the harness apart I will post the pics as to what this thing was doing.

Until then I can only assume it is the thumb screw adjustable self destruct timer.

Comment

I also have an end of the world mechanism on my camper special.

... The plot thickens

Comment

Could that be a variable resistor for flashers or other optional exterior lighting?

http://www.allpar.com/trucks/campers.html

If you scroll down to the bottom of the page there's an options list on the right side column for the D200 "selected factory installed extra cost equipment". Under the heading "Directional Signals" there's an entry there for a "H.D. 'Tung-Sol' variable for added lamp requirements."

Comment

Two end of the world mechanisms?

Quantum,

Pretty sure I read about this in the National Enquirer magazine.

Park these two trucks together and they would combine to become an all powerful mega robot capable of bringing about the end of the world.

At least that is what is says on my Mayan calender, right before it turns over to 2013.

Comment

M '72 w200 crewcab had one of those on it when it came to me.It was a former fire truck with a Motorola charging system.I thought it may have had something to do with that.Or maybe it was wired into the brake controller.

Comment

One of my trucks had the same part. It was associated with the aftermarket air conditioning unit. It is not a Chrysler part. Unless you've provided the crimp connectors and flat blade metal screws...

Comment

My Adventurer had an after market AC at one point in time.

Comment

Working...
                              X