help me i'm stumped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help me i'm stumped

Hello my name is john and I have a 1979 powerwagon I like tyhe truck because it is normally easy to diagnose and fix but this time it has me beat. What I believe to be the first signs of the problem were when I would try to start it sometimes and nothing would happen (no radio etc) I would wiggle the key and kick the floor and bam I was good to go. I thought we were looking at a switch problem. In the weeks before she went out on me I had a few instances where it was much worse. It would stall then be really hard to start again it would be more than a wiggle and a stomp but eventually the radio would pop on and id crank it and shed start right up. My idle was set too low because it needed tuned up so I figured that was the reason it stalled (maybe it was maybe not) one day it stalled at a stop light and it let me crank and crank and crank I assumed it was unrelated. Got it pushged into a parking lot and first it would crank and not start then when I would put it to "on" only low power things would work like the turn signals but very slow. But if I throw the flashers on they are flawless. Now any time I put it to on there is nothing. Not even head light or dome lights b ut sometimes I can put it to accessory and the radio will come onand I can turn it way up with no issue but if I put the lighter on it cuts off the radio. I have tried the tune up ignition swithch and even threw in a ballast resistor for kicks. If you have questions ask but please offer any knowledge you can! -john

clean grounds

Make sure all your grounds are good and clean, add star washers.

Comment

DT, my 78 did this once upon a time. it was the small red wire that is on the battery cable,(hot side), it had coroded in the cable end and was not making contact. if this is what it is, it's an easy fix. good luck with it. PS I still kick myself for getting rid of my 78. Dave.

Comment

Yea, deffinately in the wiring somewhere. Bad connection either in the ground or a junction or component.

As you take things apart add some dielectric grease before you reconnect.
        1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
        1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
        1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
        2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Check the ground cable that runs from the engine block to the body. Easy way to check it is hook up jumper cable to the neg post on the battery and put the other end on the body, Radiator support door hinge whatever then try and start it.

Comment

I agree with others. Probably a bad ground.

Next time you have a problem, turn on the headlights. If they are bright, have someone crank the engine while you watch. If the headlights go out or almost out, you probably have a bad/low battery or a bad battery connection, usually on the ground side.

Beware that you might have two problems, which makes diagnosing either problem more difficult. The stalling and hard starting problem may have a different cause(s) than the low voltage problem.

Comment

I'd say the dead at the key thing is a bad ground on the starter relay.Slamming the door or kicking the floor usually makes the contact.It's the little rectangular thing on the drivers side inner fender.

Comment

Thank you all for the responses. I followed the small terminal wire and it took me to the flashers fuse. The flashers are actually the only things that work consistantly. Also the only fuse getting power. Following the other red terminal wire it took me to the starter relay and the only power coming b ack out of the relay were the wires directly against the terminal wire (main starter power) so I tried a new starter relay. No luck. Is the starter relay grounded through the bolt holding it down? I cleaned up the main grounds as good as I could with the tools I have at home. Still nothing. Where is this engine to body ground located it sound like it could be the ticket

Comment

Usually it is at the back of the motor on the passenger side of the compartment. It does make me wonder a bit when you say the flashers work fine but the headlights wont come on, It might be a circuit breaker or a fusible link might have quit you. That gets a bit more involved, but with a test light and some patience you will be able to sort it out. just start at the battery and work your way out from there. I have found a bottle of nail polish is helpful for marking the circuits that you have tested. If you need wiring diagrams you can get them for free at www.autozone.com

Comment

well I had started doing just that and all the power stopped at the starter relay. None went to the ballast or coil or anythng like that. But then again I don't really know what should have power and when.

Comment

It is sounding to me like a fusible link went bad. I cant think exactly how that year is wired. But they are usually on the firewall or on the fender in the engine compartment. hope this helps

Comment

I don't think it is a fusible link. If it flat out quit then maybe but this sometimes on sometimes not doesn't sound like it.

IF it WERE a fusible link you could bypass and see by taking a jumper from the battery + to each circuit at the firewall box where it passes through. Try one at a time until you find the bad one. Just remember it probably blew for a reason and now you are unprotected.

The guy that put in the fusible links must be the same guy that wired the headlights through the switch and the whole dang mess through the volt meter! I think he was responsible for rust protect back then too...

Something is definately shorting out. Whether it is a wire, a connection or internally in a component...
                        1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
                        1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
                        1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
                        2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Originally posted by deltathunder View Post
                          Thank you all for the responses. I followed the small terminal wire and it took me to the flashers fuse. The flashers are actually the only things that work consistantly. Also the only fuse getting power. Following the other red terminal wire it took me to the starter relay and the only power coming b ack out of the relay were the wires directly against the terminal wire (main starter power) so I tried a new starter relay. No luck. Is the starter relay grounded through the bolt holding it down? I cleaned up the main grounds as good as I could with the tools I have at home. Still nothing. Where is this engine to body ground located it sound like it could be the ticket
                          Yes,the starter relay grounds through it's mounting bolt.

Comment

Working...
                          X