Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which truck of this era is most representative?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by USN78W150 View Post
    I love the late seventies full time trucks. I own a '77 M885 ex USAF truck, and a '78 W150 short bed former US Navy truck. Both have 318's, with the '78 having a factory 4 barrel carburetor. I also have a '78 USAF Crew Cab D200 truck with a 360 and factory 4 barrel that I will be selling shortly. I will list it here on the board when I sell it.
    Be sure to send me an ad for the magazine when you are ready to sell. Ads for the magazine must include area code and phone for the many not on the web. Ads of up to 100 words are free.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

birdbath hood & PW emblems

the birdbath hood with PW emblems is what always catches my eye. Don't know why but that style floats my boat. Seems silly, that a non functioning feature could influence me when collecting trucks sought for function not form.

Comment

agreed, the mid 70's bird bath hood with the power wagon symbols is what I get comments on all the time with my 76 lifted big block crew cab. I cannot recall the number of times I have been told "that is probably the nicest truck I've ever seen"

Long live the Powerwagon!

Last edited by 76Crewcab; 03-16-2010, 01:34 PM. Reason: added picture

Comment

Originally posted by 74w300uteline View Post
          the birdbath hood with PW emblems is what always catches my eye. Don't know why but that style floats my boat. Seems silly, that a non functioning feature could influence me when collecting trucks sought for function not form.
          Thats odd because that is me 100%. Weird isn't it?

While we're on the seat tangent, the most comfortable seat I've sat in is my '92 W250 captain's chair.
          1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
          1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
          1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
          2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

I think the one I just got for my 17 year old is pretty representative.W200,318,4 speed,full time 4wd,Radio delete and real rusty.Perfect firewood truck.Sat for at least 8 years,put a new(er) coil,brainbox and ballest resister in it and it fires right up on the first crank.Drove it home(3 miles).

Comment

Back to our discussion on seating comfort

I got a chance to park the trucks around here side by side. The cabs measure very close to the same. It's the seats that make the difference. All the late model seats sit lower than the ones in my mid 70s trucks. Both the 1990 trucks have head rests that I think the gov't mandated about that time. They prevent the seat from going back as far as in the older trucks.

I'm 6' 3" and the seats being lower and further ahead is a problem for me.

Just my opinion and the way I bend, your results may vary.

When it comes to putting miles on, I like the 70s best. Plus I am one of the people that loves full time 4X4. I've owned and driven 75, 76 and 77 Dodge trucks since they were new and will probably have one until I can no longer drive.

Dennis

Comment

Originally posted by iranch View Post
                I got a chance to park the trucks around here side by side. The cabs measure very close to the same. It's the seats that make the difference. All the late model seats sit lower than the ones in my mid 70s trucks. Both the 1990 trucks have head rests that I think the gov't mandated about that time. They prevent the seat from going back as far as in the older trucks.

I'm 6' 3" and the seats being lower and further ahead is a problem for me.

Just my opinion and the way I bend, your results may vary.

When it comes to putting miles on, I like the 70s best. Plus I am one of the people that loves full time 4X4. I've owned and driven 75, 76 and 77 Dodge trucks since they were new and will probably have one until I can no longer drive.

Dennis
                Are the cab shells and floors the same, and the difference would be the seat assemblies and brackets? If so, could the early seats be put in the later trucks?
                Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

seats

Gordon

The cab interiors are nearly identical as far as size. If they are punched the same for mounts, I didn't check. I'll check it out and let you know if it's just a bolt in deal or if some drilling and fitting is required. As usual, give me a little time and I'll get back to you. I never spent much time on it as I prefer the older truck anyway.

Dennis

Comment

Originally posted by Andyp View Post
                    where are you at in Alta ? I'm in Strathmore.
                    I am in Stettler.

Comment

Originally posted by 76Crewcab View Post
                      agreed, the mid 70's bird bath hood with the power wagon symbols is what I get comments on all the time with my 76 lifted big block crew cab. I cannot recall the number of times I have been told "that is probably the nicest truck I've ever seen"

Long live the Powerwagon!

Are you sledder? I was out at site the other day with a bunch of sledders that said they saw a truck like yours at Vale.

Comment

Working...
                      X