Truck needs too much choke at idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truck needs too much choke at idle

77 Dodge W-200, 318 2bbl, 50,000 miles. Have done a complete tune-up and the truck still needs a lot of choke to idle smoothly even when at operating temperature. Is this a symptom of a particular problem? Vacuum leak? Carb needs rebuild? Truck starts and runs very well otherwise. Idle mixture has been adjusted. Carb looks to be original and I will probably rebuild it soon just because of the age. Your thoughts gentlemen?

If it needs choke then that means there's too much air getting there somehow. Could be a vacuum leak or some problem within the carb pertaining to the idle circuit. 33yr old carb may be wore beyond rebuilding. Years of flowing air & fuel cause surface wear of critical microscopic ports/passages. I had a late 70's 318 2v that didn't run right. Turned out a new carb solved my issues.

Bucky

Comment

To add to the vacuum leak comment already posted....

Listen for vacuum leaks if your engine operating noise level permits it. A convenient way to check for vacuum leaks is to shoot carburetor cleaner from an aerosol can on any possible leak point such as gasket parting lines, hose ends, carburetor gasket parting lines, and so on.

If you wet a leak point it will typically slow the engine momentarily. You can use other liquids but they will leave a big mess.

Check for loose manifold bolts or carburetor mounting fasteners. Visually inspect — including pulling off — all rubber hose ends.
      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

It may sound a little silly, but if there is a bit of dirt especially around the float needle it'll run rough unless you give it some choke. It's a lesson I learned on the farm with tractors. It wouldn't hurt to take the carb off and make sure it's clean. Keep us posted.
        Craig

Comment

to me it sounds like your idle jets are plugged / try turning them out one turn / an old mechanics trick is to remove them if there plugged and use,in a rubber tipped blow gun thru them

Comment

Been out of town a couple of days so I'm just getting back to the forum. I'll check the things suggested and update ASAP. Thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
            X